What's new

Placement of center channel--is 2 1/2 feet higher than L/R front channels OK? (1 Viewer)

Scott Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
I recently got a new TV (32") and now when I place the center channel on top of the TV, it is about 2 1/2 feet higher than the L/R front speakers.

Is this going to result in an off-axis sound dispersion? Do I need to try to place the center channel as close to the same height as the L/R fronts?

I bought some wood at home depot and was going to make a box that would house the center channel--the TV would then be set on top of that box. This would put the center channel as close the same height as the L/R's as I would be able to, but is it worth it? I'm no master carpenter, and the TV is a fairly heavy one (108 lbs). The last thing I need is a crushed center channel.

But, if it's going to make a marked improvement in my sound dispersion, I'm willing to try. Any thoughts?

Thanks...

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
Scott,

My CC sits about 2+ feet above my mains. I used some wood & a laser pointer to angle it down right at the "sweet spot" and it blends/sounds GREAT.

Give that a try...Mike

Bob Sheen

Stunt Coordinator
My centre channel sits on top of my 60 inch RPTV. This is what i use to angle my centre channel dwn into the listening area:

I had read about using these a few months ago and decided to give it a try. Its worked very well for my setup. Depending on the size of your centre speaker, you would need 2 or 3.
You can buy these rubber door stops at any hardware store.
Good luck,
Bob

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
When I ran books on the floor and then raised them I found I liked them on the floor to. I think the floor gave them a boost like corner loading a sub. I use towers now but plan on going back to larger books down the road. Your center will do just fine with the good advice applied in the previous replies to your post.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks