What's new

PL II over rated compared to stereo surround (1 Viewer)

Mike_Sharlow

Auditioning
Was real excited about getting my new receiver with PL2 and in the last week haven't used it for than a couple minutes. Anything other than DVD I play in Stereo surround. PL2 just doesn't compare.
Mike

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Mike,
I was aprehensive about ordering the Onk DS787 when I heard
about the upcomming 797 and 898 models which incuded the new
Neo:6 and DPL II Formats. I decided to forgo the afformentioned
formats to instead be happy with THX Post Processing,DTS,
DD and DPLI and I feel that I made the right decision.
------------------
htflogo.gif

Brett DiMichele
My Home Theater Site!
[email protected]

J

John Morris

Mike: That's fantastic. I think we all are striving to find that format or DSP which rings our bell. Glad to hear you found yours! Some people swear by Logic 7, some by DPL2 and some by 5/7.1 surround. Others only like 2 channels for music. BTW, what receiver or pre/pro are you using that offers surround stereo?
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
John,
My Onk DS787 has "All Channel Stereo" and I absolutely
LOVE it! I also love Orechestra which adds an equalization
feature to emphasise mids and vocals and also plays in all
channel stereo with exception to the Center Channel (it cuts
the center out)
------------------
htflogo.gif

Brett DiMichele
My Home Theater Site!
[email protected]

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
I've found PLII to be exceptional with tv material. With music, PLII loses it's appeal when I listen from another room. I actually prefer 7 channel when I have a house full of guests.
------------------
HT Pic's

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Mike - what receiver are you using? Are you talking about the Onkyo 5-channel stereo?
I've got the Onkyo 696 and I prefer DPLII to 5-channel stereo. They really seem to do different things. The 5-ch stereo is more aggressive, seemingly duplicating the front channels in the rear. DPL2 is more subtle, keeping most of the sound in the front speakers, and using the rears for more ambient effects.
I do prefer 5-ch if I'm in a different room, or when having a party; but for casual listening and watching TV / movies, I much prefer DPLII. And for listening to news on the local AM station, I like the TV-Logic DSP mode (it works best with a mono signal).
I suggest giving DPLII another chance (especially with TV shows), but go with what you prefer :)

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
When I want to really listen to surround from 2 channel sources (on my Denon 3802), I prefer DPL II for both movies and music. If I am not listening as closely, then 5 channel stereo is good but doesn't give the more "you are there" feeling that DPL II gives. (I have to admit that I still like plain old 2 channel a lot too.)
------------------

JerryW

Supporting Actor
For listening in another room or while I'm working around the house, I prefer 5-Ch stereo... but for any critical listening nothing beats direct 2-Ch. With proper spkr positioning and calibration (and very good mains), vanilla stereo IS a surround mode.
Alas though, I've really not had a chance to check out DPL-2. I'm simply too strapped for $ right now to upgrade just because I'm lacking one function.
------------------
September 11, 2001
"Those who died will always be remembered.
Those who killed will never be forgotten.
We who remain will not let it happen again."

Joseph_D

Auditioning
I have been listening to my music, movies, t.v., vinyl and old VHS tapes in PLII for almost 2 years now. I have a pre/pro that allows me to select many different surround modes, all channel stereo and conventional 2 ch. stereo. I must say that I prefer PLII to any steering logic matrix or decoding algorythm I've experienced before. I have yet to listen to reciever outfitted with PLII or some of the software upgrade versions of PLII. I would actually rather listen to my music in PLII in my home theater room than listen to music in my dedicated stereo room through large ESL's. Never thought I would say that.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I didn't think I'd care for DPL-II much for music (since direct stereo sounds so damn good). But after some careful calibration of my levels and speaker delays (using Guy Kuo's method), I am absolutely in love with DPL-II Music mode. It doesn't add any unnatural reverb like DSP modes do or color the sound in any way... and the placement of instruments across the soundstage is incredible! The song THAT'S JUST HOW THAT BIRD SINGS by The Twilight Singers (a side project of The Afghan Whigs' Greg Dulli and Brad's Shawn Smith) has three singers alternating verses, each in a different channel (L, R, C) and it just sounds amazing. Also, I could never listen to Radiohead's OK COMPUTER in anything other than DPL-II again, because it's like being surrounded by the music. Damn good stuff.
That being said, for listening outside of the sweet spot (for parties, working around the house, etc.) I use 5-channel stereo since it's less dependant upon being in the sweet spot.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"I have been listening to my music, movies, t.v., vinyl and old VHS tapes in PLII for almost 2 years now."
Damn, Joseph D...is your last name Dolby? :) I thought DPLII just came out this year
confused.gif

Jer

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Anything other than DVD I play in Stereo surround. PL2 just doesn't compare.
i agree. DPL2 for music just doesn't cut it IMO. i loved the 5-channel demos i got of DVD-A recordings in my local HiFi store, and i can't listen to music in DPL2. i MUCH prefer stereo (well, really DIRECT) mode to anything else offered by my Onkyo 595. i just 'forced' myself into buying an RP91, so i'll finally get my 5-channel music as i wanted it!
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Joseph_D

Auditioning
Damn, Joseph D...is your last name Dolby? I thought DPLII just came out this year
I do work in the industry, not for Dolby. The unit I have is a stand-alone DPLII prototype processor. You should have seen the smile on my face the first night I wired everything up, dialed it in and listened to it. Over the last two years I have become even more enamored by this steering logic.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Sweet gig, being in the industry AND an enthusiast. Are those units available to the public? What about cost is they are?
Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks