1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

PL II over rated compared to stereo surround

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Sharlow, Nov 8, 2001.

1. Mike_Sharlow

Mike_Sharlow Auditioning

Was real excited about getting my new receiver with PL2 and in the last week haven't used it for than a couple minutes. Anything other than DVD I play in Stereo surround. PL2 just doesn't compare.
    Mike

2. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Mike,
    I was aprehensive about ordering the Onk DS787 when I heard
    about the upcomming 797 and 898 models which incuded the new
    Neo:6 and DPL II Formats. I decided to forgo the afformentioned
    formats to instead be happy with THX Post Processing,DTS,
    DD and DPLI and I feel that I made the right decision.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Brett DiMichele
    My Home Theater Site!
    [email protected]

3. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Mike: That's fantastic. I think we all are striving to find that format or DSP which rings our bell. Glad to hear you found yours! Some people swear by Logic 7, some by DPL2 and some by 5/7.1 surround. Others only like 2 channels for music. BTW, what receiver or pre/pro are you using that offers surround stereo?
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

4. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

John,
    My Onk DS787 has "All Channel Stereo" and I absolutely
    LOVE it! I also love Orechestra which adds an equalization
    feature to emphasise mids and vocals and also plays in all
    channel stereo with exception to the Center Channel (it cuts
    the center out)
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Brett DiMichele
    My Home Theater Site!
    [email protected]

5. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

I've found PLII to be exceptional with tv material. With music, PLII loses it's appeal when I listen from another room. I actually prefer 7 channel when I have a house full of guests.
    ------------------
    HT Pic's

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Mike - what receiver are you using? Are you talking about the Onkyo 5-channel stereo?
    I've got the Onkyo 696 and I prefer DPLII to 5-channel stereo. They really seem to do different things. The 5-ch stereo is more aggressive, seemingly duplicating the front channels in the rear. DPL2 is more subtle, keeping most of the sound in the front speakers, and using the rears for more ambient effects.
    I do prefer 5-ch if I'm in a different room, or when having a party; but for casual listening and watching TV / movies, I much prefer DPLII. And for listening to news on the local AM station, I like the TV-Logic DSP mode (it works best with a mono signal).
    I suggest giving DPLII another chance (especially with TV shows), but go with what you prefer [​IMG]

7. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

When I want to really listen to surround from 2 channel sources (on my Denon 3802), I prefer DPL II for both movies and music. If I am not listening as closely, then 5 channel stereo is good but doesn't give the more "you are there" feeling that DPL II gives. (I have to admit that I still like plain old 2 channel a lot too.)
    ------------------

8. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

For listening in another room or while I'm working around the house, I prefer 5-Ch stereo... but for any critical listening nothing beats direct 2-Ch. With proper spkr positioning and calibration (and very good mains), vanilla stereo IS a surround mode.
    Alas though, I've really not had a chance to check out DPL-2. I'm simply too strapped for $ right now to upgrade just because I'm lacking one function.
    ------------------
    September 11, 2001
    "Those who died will always be remembered.
    Those who killed will never be forgotten.
    We who remain will not let it happen again."

9. Joseph_D

Joseph_D Auditioning

I have been listening to my music, movies, t.v., vinyl and old VHS tapes in PLII for almost 2 years now. I have a pre/pro that allows me to select many different surround modes, all channel stereo and conventional 2 ch. stereo. I must say that I prefer PLII to any steering logic matrix or decoding algorythm I've experienced before. I have yet to listen to reciever outfitted with PLII or some of the software upgrade versions of PLII. I would actually rather listen to my music in PLII in my home theater room than listen to music in my dedicated stereo room through large ESL's. Never thought I would say that.

10. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I didn't think I'd care for DPL-II much for music (since direct stereo sounds so damn good). But after some careful calibration of my levels and speaker delays (using Guy Kuo's method), I am absolutely in love with DPL-II Music mode. It doesn't add any unnatural reverb like DSP modes do or color the sound in any way... and the placement of instruments across the soundstage is incredible! The song THAT'S JUST HOW THAT BIRD SINGS by The Twilight Singers (a side project of The Afghan Whigs' Greg Dulli and Brad's Shawn Smith) has three singers alternating verses, each in a different channel (L, R, C) and it just sounds amazing. Also, I could never listen to Radiohead's OK COMPUTER in anything other than DPL-II again, because it's like being surrounded by the music. Damn good stuff.
    That being said, for listening outside of the sweet spot (for parties, working around the house, etc.) I use 5-channel stereo since it's less dependant upon being in the sweet spot.

11. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

"I have been listening to my music, movies, t.v., vinyl and old VHS tapes in PLII for almost 2 years now."
    Damn, Joseph D...is your last name Dolby? [​IMG] I thought DPLII just came out this year [​IMG]
    Jer

12. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas

13. Joseph_D

Joseph_D Auditioning

14. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Sweet gig, being in the industry AND an enthusiast. Are those units available to the public? What about cost is they are?
    Jeremy