PJ: ROTK EE will be longer than 4 hour 50 minutes!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Rasmus, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Rasmus

Rasmus Auditioning

In an interview with a danish newspaper Peter Jackson promishes that the extended edition of ROTk will be longer than his original cut (4h 50m)..

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Cant wailt till wednesday, and the dvd!

link for the interested:
    politiken .dk/VisArtikel.iasp?PageID=298542

(its in danish... i cant find any online translator that handles this great language atm...)

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Whoa...that so cannot be right.

I'll wait until I hear something more official.

3. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

I think that should probably be 3h 50m. Any longer and I think that would start to compromise PQ even on 2 discs.

4. Darren_Reed

Darren_Reed Extra

You can go to www.tranexp.com:2000 and scroll all the way down, and it will translate from Danish. I read thru it and see where it does say 4h50m... and I have read from other sources in the last couple of days that the first cut was "well over 4 1/2 hours". This will be fantastic news if true! Bring on the 5-DVD set! [​IMG]

Here is a link to another site quoting the editor of the film on it's original length: http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-m.../12/10.30.film

5. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

even if you count 20 min of fan club credits (which i don't think PJ would do), that's still an HOUR of extra material, which is a lot.

6. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Has to be a typo somehow.
    A nearly 5 hour cut of the film?!?!?!?!?

7. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I need to hear something more official, as well.

8. George Cifrancis

George Cifrancis Stunt Coordinator

George
    I thought I read in a recent interview that PJ said the original cut was 4 hours 15 min long?

9. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

I agree that this has got to be some sort of misprint/typo. My bet is that they meant 3h50m.

While we are sort of on the subject, does anybody think that they will recut the entire series chronologically, and re-release? Or maybe some sort of "Saga" version that clocks in ~ 12hrs will make it to HD-DVD in a few years? That would be awesome...

Regards,
    Dan

10. Darren_Reed

Darren_Reed Extra

On the front page of www.chud.com right now, there is an interview with Peter Jackson, and he seems to indicate that the longest real cut he worked with was 4h15m... maybe someone heard him wrong and transcribed it as 50 instead of 15?

11. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

12. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

question (no spoilers please): what is the theatrical running time of ROTK?

13. Darren_Reed

Darren_Reed Extra

I believe it is 3h12m without the credits.

14. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Well, I'm sure ROTK will be a good--maybe even great movie. But if I'm going to spend five hours doing something, it better bring me closer to God or change my outlook on life or something.

Five hours...Good Lord!!!

15. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

According to multiple sources, the LOTR:ROTK EE set will clock in at just a little over four hours.

The theatrical cut is supposedly 3 hours 30 minutes; but that probably includes credits.

Current rumors indicate that we could see the theatrical cut on DVD as early as May; and I would not be too surprised if this doesn't end up as a three disc set.

The extended cut could be released as early as late August or early September. (Hmmm ... Does that mean it could be going up against the Classic Star Wars Trilogy release? That could be interesting ...) If the theatrical release ends up on three discs, it's a foregone conclusion that we can expect a 5 disc EE!

16. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Count me among those that think it is a typo even if its 4 hours plus when it hits DVD, I'm going to have to set aside a day if I plan to watch all 3 extended editions back to back to back.

17. Luis C. Ortiz

Luis C. Ortiz Stunt Coordinator

In an interview he said that the un-cut version is 4h 15m, the theatrical version will be an hour shorter. I just hope that they get all that material in the EE DVD, but one can just hope [​IMG]

Luis

18. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

19. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

In an interview with Anthony Breznican for the Associated Press, Jackson stated that he cut an hour and five minutes from the film, so the thoughts of a 4 1/2-hour master cut of Return of the King is right on the money. (Not counting the 20 minutes of fan club credits tacked on at the end of the DVD versions.)

So a 5-disc set probably would not surprise me. (Six discs, if you count the bonus DVD packaged with the soundtrack CD, seven if you count the National Geographic "Beyond the Movie" DVD.)

20. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

I agree that this will be like the Star Wars trilogy. It will be released and then rereleased, and then when you think you have the final version ... here comes another one. Of course, I think New Line will probably show a little more restraint.

You know, that seems to be the one word I would use to describe New Line throughout this whole LOTR project. Restrained. They have showed amazing restraint in everything from making decisions on the movie to how they treat the fans. That is really shocking when you look at what they had at stake and at the movie studios as they are today.