PJ lamp life and age.......

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mike LS, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

OK, a projector lamp has a life of xxxx hours. Say 3000.....for someone who doesn't use the projector very much......say just a couple of movies a week totaling about 5 hours on average. If that time were the average over the life of the lamp, that would figure to about 11 years of use.

With current pj lamps, when does age figure into the life of the lamp? Would one last near that long if used that little? Or would it break down after a certain # of years?

2. JimmyJK

JimmyJK Agent

Damn good question I also have the same one. Ill only be using it for movies every now and then maybe max 12 hours a week.

Also like many electronic devices when powered on they are charged with power which wears them down a lot more like computer monitors for example. They say its better to keep it on for 6 hours straight then turn it 0ff 6 times and on 6 times in a 6 hour period and use it only for 3 hours.

3. Thomas Willard

Thomas Willard Stunt Coordinator

There should be no shelf life for a projector lamp. Things such as voltage applied to lamp, number of off and on cycles, ambient temperature, bulb operated on low or high setting do have some bearing on the life of the lamp. Much debate as to when to shut off and when to leave on in order to avoid an on-off cycle. I don't know if anyone really can answer that, but I can tell you that the owners manual for the Panasonic PT-L300U I have states that the unit should not be left on for extended periods ( I believe it manual said not longer than eight hours at a time).

I would recommend using an UPS (uninterruptable power supply)to guard against the power failing while the unit is on. A shut down without the proper cooling time, will cause shortened bulb life. So far I have had the power fail twice while the projector was on. Both times I had the time to power the unit down and let the cooling fan run for a period of time.