PJ Harvey close to completing 'ugly' new album

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_eb, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

Here's some good news:

http://www.ananova.com/entertainment...sm_744165.html

Harvey says she is close to completing her new studio album and intends to showcase it at Glastonbury this year.

The singer says the new LP is "ugly and disturbing" compared to her last two.

She is planning to release the album later this year, ahead of a UK tour.

Harvey is also collaborating with Queens of the Stone Age for the 9th Desert Sessions album along with former Marilyn Manson bass player Twiggy.

"With every album I tend to react against the previous one in an effort to find new ground," she told Radio 1.

"With this record, it's pretty ugly really. Quite an ugly sounding batch of songs. Quite disturbing, quite dark, quite bluesy.

"At the moment it's feeling good. I just go by how my guts feel."

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I wish she'd go back to the style of Rid Of Me... Too polished since, imo. Not "raw" enough.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Go back to Dry. I'm waiting.

4. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

Rid of me is definitely my favorite recording from her. But the others aren't too bad either.

5. Steve Owen

Steve Owen Second Unit

Certianly "Rid of Me" and "Dry" are great albums, but don't dismiss the last couple, especially "Stories From the City, Stories from the Sea". Yes, it's a bit more polished than some of the others, but I find it to be her most "complete" album. It works great as cohesive work from the first note to last. After forcing a friend to listen to it, his description was "absolutely compelling" which I thought summed it up pretty well.

Looking forward to anything else she does... an amazing live performer as well (I've seen her about 10 times or so).

-Steve

6. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Anything she does is pure gold in my book. Can't wait.