What's new

Pizza Chronicles #2: Italiian Agricultural Ministry establishes pizza guidelines. (1 Viewer)

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Actually, that's my vice of choice as well. :)

Holadem,

Keep in mind, this discussion is totally on-topic. This is a thread about pizza, after all. :D

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Okay, so I'm out today buying abrasives...+yawn+...

Believe it or not, there is a night club near my flat that serves outstanding pizza. I thought it was the drinks at first. The boys won't eat anything else now.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Marcello, you will notice that a good many of us prefer the traditional, thin crust baked in a hot, wood-fired oven. I usually judge a pizza place by its Margherita. We do have at least one place that makes a good one in a north Dallas suburb.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Ok Sami this is really close to you--, Pazzo is in Flower Mound on Long Prairie Road in the Target Shopping Center.

In addition to the margehita, try the Proscuitto. It has the real thing. If you ask they will add the ham after it comes out of the oven.

The wine list has a fine selection of inexpensive Italian and California wines at very reasonable prices. Several bottles can be had for $15 and there is a nice selection between around $20 and $25.

What’s not to like?

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

Agreed.

Perhaps more specifically, I judge the pizza chef by how he/she deals with the flavor of the tomato. Does he/she bring the wonderful flavors of tomato to the fore, or are they buried (literally and figuratively) under seasonings and (even worse) a flood of cheese.

Our favorite "Americanized" pizza is what a few places around town call "Grandma's pizza" or "Grandma's pie," although it is nothing like the pizza frita that my own grandmother used to make. This is a square pie with a thin crust, baked in a wood-fired oven, with diced tomato, a scattering of mozarella and a bit of ricotta, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, minced garlic and (the best part) small slivers of red onion.

Now that's eating. :D

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, agreed. To me, the sauce is critical; it has to have an excellent flavor, and it should neither overwhelm the flavor of cheese nor be dominated by it; balance is key.

For example, I cannot eat the delivery-chain pizzas from Papa John's; it's pizza sauce is so damn sweet (it almost tastes like a fruity jam).

Albano's in Los Angeles, on Melrose, is king.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Thanks Lew, I'm going to try it out with a friend tonight over a movie. We decided on Margherita and Napoletana, if it turns out good then Prosciutto and Contadino next.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks