What's new

Pizza Chronicles #2: Italiian Agricultural Ministry establishes pizza guidelines. (1 Viewer)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Hockey-puck! All the ingredients on those pizzas have the ingredients on top of the sauce. What do those guys know about pizza?

:D

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I used to work at a shop that specialized in Greek style pizza. Medium-thick chewy crust, spicy sauce (containing sherry as well as other unique ingredients), and cheese on top of the toppings. Mm mm good.

EDIT: The 2 best pies this shop made were the Four Cheese (mozzarella, parmesan, swiss, & feta) and the GASP (garlic, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, & pesto [homemade of course {with 100% basil, no spinach like the cheap place next door}]).
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
From the article:

The dough must be rolled out manually and baked in wood-burning ovens that can reach the required temperature of 485 Celsius (905 Fahrenheit).

I don't think this is right. 905 degrees to cook pizza? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I would like to see these guys try a Chicago Deep Dish pizza with extra cheese, pepperoni and sausage and see if they still want their pizzas that way. I had one of these in Chicago a month ago and it was one of the best pizzas I've ever had. I'm drooling just thinking about it. :)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Mamma mia! Storia stupefacente Jack, sono sorprendo che prendono così seriamente i ingrediants della pepperoni pizza, che cosa circa gli spaghetti bolognese? hahaha Don Corleone dice ciao.:)

CharlesD

Screenwriter
BEst pizza I ever had was the traditional style (Margherita) baked in a wood chip oven in Napoli.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Now you can know for sure that you are eating an Italian historical dish that was pilfered from ancient Greece and not enjoyed in any large quantities until American pizza-makers perfected and popularized the dish in the 20th century.

Coming up next: The People's Republic of China sets strick guidelines for the preperation and serving of Chop Suey and Fortune Cookies to ensure that only traditional, authentic Chinese cuisine is served round-the-world :D

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Most wood or coal fired brick pizza ovens get at least this hot. Traditional Napoli style pizza is definitely cooked at this temp, you can tell by the crispy outside and tender inside of the crust (not too much inside, either - the crust is quite thin). I've seen Food Channel specials on "authentic" pizza where the oven was so hot, the tiles inside were glowing red.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

:laugh: Chicago-style, deep-dish is good, but not remotely Italian.

The article is right on target, although to the limited list recommended, you might often see a Napoli, with the addition of anchovies. I have seen traditionalists lay very thin slices of Parma ham over the top (after it comes out of the oven) as an accent.

Also the mozzarella is normally put on much more sparingly than in the U.S.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Good heavens, people I will never meet and don't care one lick about are saying that my homemade Saturday night meal is - GASP - somehow fake? What a CROCK! If ever there was a dish that transcends boundries, it is that heavenly pie!

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Sounds like a good marketing gimmick to me. I'd pay extra to get a pizza that was certified as authentic Italian.
I wonder what an official cheeseburger would look like...

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Wasn't another pizza thread of an "in Search of" variety? Now we must add "authentic Neopolitan" criteria to the checklist?

Like it hasn't taken long enough to find a good pie.

I'm confused, my Italian side of the family doesn't even eat or appear to care for pizza. It sure seems we Americans have embraced pizza to the point it's embedded in our fabric. May I be flippant and say we own the pizza now
:)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Give it up Chi-town, your pizza is weak.

St. Louis style baby, we're more authentic :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks