Pixies and Sonic Youth news from Billboard

Discussion in 'Music' started by LarryDavenport, Dec 23, 2003.

1. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Nov 15, 1999

While reports that the Pixies will reunite for concerts in 2004 remain unconfirmed, Billboard.com has learned there are two archival projects in the works. The group's manager, Ken Goes, says 4AD is prepping "a very nice DVD," as well as a newly compiled "best of" album to replace the 1997 release "Death to the Pixies," which is now out of print in the U.S. No release dates have been announced.

The DVD will feature eight Pixies videos, for such tracks as "Debaser," "Here Comes Your Man" and "Monkey Gone to Heaven." Also included is the documentary "Gouge," which was shown on British television a few years ago and sports interviews with Radiohead's Thom Yorke, David Bowie and U2 frontman Bono.

Rounding out the package is a 1988 concert taped at London's Town and Country on the Pixies' maiden tour of the region. "Finally, it'll include some off-stage stuff, sort of behind-the-scenes, on tour and in the studio; about 30 minutes or so," Goes reports. "It'll be a great package for fans and a nice introduction for others."

Goes had no comment on renewed speculation that the Pixies may regroup for the first time since their 1992 dissolution. In September, he told Billboard.com he had "received an offer for the Pixies to perform in April. That said, over the past 10 years, I have received dozens of offers for the Pixies."

Sonic Youth Plans DVD, Reissue

Veteran rock act Sonic Youth is making plans for its first official DVD releases, as well as an expanded reissue of its 1990 Geffen album "Goo" and the next in the SYR series of experimental LPs.

According to posts on the band's official Web site, "the first official Sonic Youth DVDs ... will be jammed with anything/everything that needs to be jammed onto DVD." The group is eyeing a videoclip retrospective of its tenure on the Geffen label as well as commentary by band members and other artists.

According to the post, director Dave Markey has also prepared a 2-DVD set of his 1991 documentary film "The Year Punk Broke," featuring extra footage of Sonic Youth, Nirvana and others. Release dates have not been set for either project.

The expanded release of "Goo" will be in the vein of the 2-CD revisiting of the 1992 album "Dirty," released earlier this year by Universal. The "Goo" reissue will include B-sides, oddities and the original 8-track demos for the album.
  2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Jun 5, 2000
    Rachael Bellomy
    I miss those cute little Pixies with guitars.
  3. Steve Owen

Steve Owen Second Unit

Jan 7, 1999
    I anxiously await ANYTHING either of these bands ever puts out. They're both among the most influential bands of all time and both receive very heavy playtime in my car and in my home.

4. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

Jun 9, 2001
    The rumor is that 1991: The Year Punk Broke has a commentary track with Thurston Moore and Dave Grohl and that the new footage is the only source of delay as of now, what with having to get all kinds of legal clearances and the like.

The Pixies news is new to me.
  5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Aug 3, 2000
    Live Sonic Youth! I want some live Sonic Youth! [​IMG]