Pixellization - is it my DVD player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Howe, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Andrew Howe

Andrew Howe Auditioning

Nov 10, 1999
    It's always obvious when your VCR starts to bite the dust, because you invariably end up with a distorted picture. However, I'm not certain if the same applies to DVD players.

Recently I've had a few problems with the picture breaking up on a couple of DVD's - it's brief, but annoying. Checking the discs revealed a number of small scratches, but nothing to get too concerned about (since the problems always came towards the end of the second layer I was concerned about DVD rot, but there's no signs of that either). Most importantly, however, they played fine on my PC DVD player.

Now, I know for a fact that the error correction on my Pioneer DV-414 has never been the best, and what's more it's only 2 years old, but the increasing frequency of the problem is starting to annoy me. I'm going to run some more tests (using a combination of pristine DVD's and rentals), but my question is this: is this a common sign that your DVD player is in need of repair? Everything I've read on the issue points the finger at the discs themselves, and since I have a long and sordid history with service centres I don't want them to keep my player for 3 weeks only to tell me that there's nothing wrong with it (or at least, nothing that can be fixed).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Feb 12, 1998
    If the discs play fine on other players, the likelihood is that the Pioneer is at fault. If the Pioneer glitches on the same discs in the same spots, then it probably is just more sensitive than your other player. (I have something similar with a Panasonic.) But if the Pioneer glitches are random and not repeatable, it could be a sign that the player is failing.

I wouldn't try to have it serviced unless the problem becomes pervasive. And at today's prices, you might just be better off replacing it.

3. MichaelGomez

MichaelGomez Stunt Coordinator

Oct 4, 2001
    The other question is how is your DVD player set up. I used to have mine on a AB switcher. After about a year I started having the same problems you are. Come to find out the switcher was at fault. Something about the way they switch between the A and B equipment. May not be the same problem you are having but I thought that I would give it a shot. Also, check your cables to make sure that they aren't loose and the vibration from the bass is causing your little skips.