Pixelation in HDTV shows

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Brett_M, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Brett_M

Brett_M Screenwriter

Brett Meyer
    I have a Sony 51" rear projection HDTV and digital cable.

Sometimes, when watching a show (House M.D.) on an HD station, a fast edit or camera angle change will result in pixelation for a moment.

What is causing this?

If the channel is HD and the show is not being aired in HD, could this explain it? (Monday Night Football (HD) versus House M.D. (notHD))

2. John S

John S Producer

To much compression / to much content being offered and not enough bandwidth to suppor it?

I see a fair amount of this on most digital cable systems. Usually only on some channels. But that is what I suspect actually causes it.

3. Brett_M

Brett_M Screenwriter

Brett Meyer
    Could be -- I see it on the HD Fox station mostly. Thanks for replying.

Anyone else?

4. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Bit starvation is the most likely culprit. It's especially likely if,

1. hardware based real-time compressor
    2. multi-casting station (19.8MB/s user payload.)

Leo

5. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Check your connections and use quality splitters wherever possible in your system. The cable guy told me for HD you shouldn't use anything rated under 900 MHz.

I had some cheap $1.99 splitters in my old house and had the same problem as you... now in my new house, I don't get much pixelation at all. Of course, it's a new subdivision, and all of the cabling is new.. so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

Talk to your cable company about a line amplifier. My friend complained about his signal on his new plasma and the cable company came out and plugged one in for him. Now his picture is great.

6. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

I see this happen sometimes on various channels. In my case, I'm getting HD OTA via an outside antenna. I can get signal fade and aircraft induced multipath that will trigger the pixelization, a picture freeze or very occasionally total loss of picture. So... my guess is what you're seeing is an interference and/or signal level issue somewhere along the line--reinforcing what the other reponses said. Don't know why it would only affect Fox but check with the cable company and tell them you want a signal level and quality check. Can't hurt and might make the issue go away.