What's new

Pixelated motion blur on all Plasmas? (1 Viewer)

Mike JM

Stunt Coordinator
I went to Circuit City the other day to check out the new Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma. It was showing a basketball game and whenever the camera would quickly pan left or right, there was a 1/4 second of a pixelation right afterwards and then it would clear up. ...Didn't happen all the time but it did happen.

Is this a common thing inherit in plasmas?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The set you saw was probably just hideously maladjusted. Cranking up the brightness, constrast and color settings will make any set and any source material look bad.

Regards,

Joe

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
It mas most likely the source feed, pans use a lot more data because of the large amount of changing picture information, and the source bit-rate can't keep up so you see a lot of macroblocking. It is not likely that this is a display issue, you can test by using a better source and looking for this problem, I suspect it will no longer be present.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I also bet it's the source. Plasma uses the same idea as CRT in terms of exciting phosphorescent material. Plasmas have never had any issue with motion blur/lag/etc at least since I've been in the game (past few years). LCD is an entirely different story though. :)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Plasmas do have lag issues from phosphor decay, but I did not interpret that to be what the OP described. It sounded like simple bit starvation in the source, resulting in macro blocking.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
This is becoming a very common complaint from those just now getting into HDTV. 99% of the time pixellization is in the source material, not the display device.

If you look closely at all the sets in the store that are using the same feed, you generally see the same digital artifacting during fast movement on all of them.

PhillJones

Second Unit
I agree, it's in the source material but the plasma is more critical because it's a sharper image. The effect is magnified by turning the brightness up too far and so is far less of an issue when you get it home and adjust it properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks