Pixelated motion blur on all Plasmas?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mike JM, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Mike JM

Mike JM Stunt Coordinator

I went to Circuit City the other day to check out the new Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma. It was showing a basketball game and whenever the camera would quickly pan left or right, there was a 1/4 second of a pixelation right afterwards and then it would clear up. ...Didn't happen all the time but it did happen.

Is this a common thing inherit in plasmas?

2. DougR

DougR Second Unit

Never noticed it on my 42" Panny(TH-42PWD8UK) Plasma !

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    The set you saw was probably just hideously maladjusted. Cranking up the brightness, constrast and color settings will make any set and any source material look bad.

Regards,

Joe

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

It mas most likely the source feed, pans use a lot more data because of the large amount of changing picture information, and the source bit-rate can't keep up so you see a lot of macroblocking. It is not likely that this is a display issue, you can test by using a better source and looking for this problem, I suspect it will no longer be present.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I also bet it's the source. Plasma uses the same idea as CRT in terms of exciting phosphorescent material. Plasmas have never had any issue with motion blur/lag/etc at least since I've been in the game (past few years). LCD is an entirely different story though. [​IMG]

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Plasmas do have lag issues from phosphor decay, but I did not interpret that to be what the OP described. It sounded like simple bit starvation in the source, resulting in macro blocking.

7. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

This is becoming a very common complaint from those just now getting into HDTV. 99% of the time pixellization is in the source material, not the display device.

If you look closely at all the sets in the store that are using the same feed, you generally see the same digital artifacting during fast movement on all of them.

8. PhillJones

PhillJones Second Unit

I agree, it's in the source material but the plasma is more critical because it's a sharper image. The effect is magnified by turning the brightness up too far and so is far less of an issue when you get it home and adjust it properly.