What's new

Pixel resolution Question (1 Viewer)

nik k

Agent
I have a question after reading this months (Jan 04) Sound and Vison magazine. Inside there is a write up about flat panle TV's. My question is how does pixel resolution connect with the different formats, ie SDTV, EDTV and HDTV??? I know that the formats are 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i but what confuses me is what can i tell when i see number like 852x480 or 1280x768 or 1024x1024 for pixel resolution of the TV??? I found it difficult to understand what the TV's can do using this info. Thanks.

Nik K.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
The first set of number denotes horizontal scanlines(vertical resolution), leaving out the horizontal resolution. The second set of numbers gives the horizontal reolution by the vertical.

Norris

Stunt Coordinator
From what I understand, the 2nd number is more important.
480i is SD, which no manufacturer will care to list.
Usually when you see 480 with regards to flat panels, it denotes 480p (same as DVD quality), which is considered ED. 768 is usually p, I've never seen a monitor resolution of 768i. 1024 is almost always i. Basically of the 3 resolutions you listed, the first one is ED and the other two are HD. The experts please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks