pixel blindness?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by jack w, Nov 29, 2003.

1. jack w

jack w Agent

I am in the market for a new tv and we went looking at dlp and crt rptvs last night.I thought the samsung dlps had great pictures but she noticed the pixels everytime a scene changed.she said it bothered her eyes and i really didnt notice,has anyone noticed this?.Also she didnt notice it on some smaller crt sets and some larger crt rptvs. Ive been hearing alot of things about front projection and id like to take a look but i dont know where to go.I this "pixel thing" a problem with front proj. dlps also?

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Coarse pixellation depends on the quality of the electronics in the TV set (or projector), the quality of the electronics in the DVD player or HDTV/satellite tuner box, and the quality of the program source.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You'll have to describe this "pixel thing" more.

It sounds as if you're describing digital compression, which would be more apparent at scene changes. I notice this locally on a cable feed of MTV2 especially, it drives me nuts, even on my VERY small like 24in TV. This isn't pixels. You'll have to describe what source you were viewing, as pixels stay the same on digital displays, and while certain video, like bright even scenes (white, skies, etc) let you see them clearly, they don't change or anything between scenes at all.