What's new

Disney+ Luca (Pixar) (2021) (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Most likely on their practical side, but I'd think they'd be a bit disappointed on their creative side.
Sure, maybe. I don’t work in creative, but if it’s between less people seeing my work on a big platform vs. just getting my work out there, I’d like to think getting work out there would be better for me.

At the end of the day, they’re getting paid, their names are in the credits and potentially more people will see their work on D+. Kinda seems like a win to me. But again, I don’t work in creative.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I’d say Soul is vindicated artistically, since it was just about the best reviewed movie of 2020, and I suspect it will win the Oscar for Best Animated Feature.

Luca looks delightful.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Wonder what the feeling is among the staff at Pixar when Raya gets a theatrical release and their last two features have basically gone direct to video?

It's funny you say that because you asked more or less the same thing when they did this for Soul.

Wonder how the folks at Pixar feel having worked hard for years on what now amounts to a TV movie?

I'm going to quote my old post in that thread because very little of my opinion has changed.

It's still a movie as much as Roma or Marriage Story or The Irishman are movies.

I'm sure it is disappointing that most people won't be able to see it on the big screen. (Like Mulan, it will go theatrical in countries where Disney+ does not exist.) But the alternative would be another lengthy delay, so I would think they're probably happy up to a point. At least their work is going to get seen soon by a wide audience on Disney+.

I know I would have liked to see it in theaters -- I would have liked none of this to ever have happened and it would've been released in June. We'd already have the Blu-ray by now if that were the case. Toy Story 4 went from a mid-June release date to disc on this week last year.

But I'm also really glad that I get to see the film without an indefinite wait. The countdown is on and it's only 78 days away from now before we can see it. So that has to be looked at as a positive.

Plus, this has already happened to Pixar once this year. Onward only got to run theatrically for two weeks before the pandemic shut everything down, so I'm sure more people found it on Disney+ than did in theaters.

There's something to be said for seeing your work theatrically, but this is better right now. At least it's going to be widely seen, which wouldn't have happened in a theatrical environment now.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yes, they could have done a simultaneous theatrical release and Premier Access. But they already announced that for Black Widow and Cruella this morning, so maybe they don't want to do that with three big titles In a row. Raya and the Last Dragon hasn't exactly been setting the box office on fire the last few weeks. If Luca would have performed similarly, it's not like they're leaving a whole lot of money on the table.

Although Disney didn't and doesn't have to release numbers about how Soul did on Disney+, I would guess this means that it did very well for them in terms of generating subscriptions and getting eyeballs on the service. If Luca can perform similarly there, it will be very valuable for Disney. I am certainly very excited to see it.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Art book fans should note that The Art of Luca has a publication date of May 18. This is a month prior to the release of the film.

Amazon doesn't have this listed for pre-order just yet, but it is listed on the website for the publisher, Chronicle Books. I can't figure out why their page says there will be a foreword by Tina Fey because she is not involved with the film as far as I know. Maybe they copied that by mistake from the page for The Art of Soul; that one actually does have a forward by Fey, who voices 22.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Dan Romer, who was Oscar-nominated for the score of Beats of the Southern Wild, is the composer for Luca. It is listed on his website here: https://www.danromer.com

This is the first time Romer has worked with Pixar.

Soul represented the first Pixar score for Jon Batiste, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, and the music was such a distinctive and memorable highlight of that film. It is interesting to see Pixar again choosing to expand their roster of musical collaborators on this film, and I am curious to hear what he has come up with in June.

Only 69 days left until Luca arrives on Disney+!

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Amazon put up the art book for pre-order, but so far they haven't lowered it from its $42.50 list price.

Release date is May 18, which is is a month ahead of the movie. I love these but have no interest in reading it prior to seeing the movie. So if it drops in price before I see the movie, then all the better.

Art of Luca.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
New trailer and poster today:

Luca.jpg

This looks delightful.

Also, Disney posted some concept art for the film here:

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The animation looks sort of like Aardman, or an old Rankin/Bass program. Seems kind of old-fashioned for modern Pixar.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The animation looks sort of like Aardman, or an old Rankin/Bass program. Seems kind of old-fashioned for modern Pixar.

I thought the same thing, but it seems to me to be a deliberate style choice rather than a deficiency. It looks gorgeous.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
New featurette:

Also, The Art of Luca book previously scheduled for release on May 18 has now been pushed back a bit to June 8.

The film itself is still being released on June 18 on Disney+.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If you live In Hollywood and feel safe in a movie theater right now, you have a rare opportunity to see Luca on the big screen. Although the theatrical release elsewhere has been scrapped in favor of a Disney+ debut, Disney will show Luca for a week at the El Capitan Theatre, which they own and operate. More information below for those interested.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If you live In Hollywood and feel safe in a movie theater right now, you have a rare opportunity to see Luca on the big screen. Although the theatrical release elsewhere has been scrapped in favor of a Disney+ debut, Disney will show Luca for a week at the El Capitan Theatre, which they own and operate. More information below for those interested.

Lucky bastards. :)

I've just finished going through the entire Pixar filmography again (something I've been planning to do for probably two years) and man, they have made some great movies. I'm sure Luca will be up to the same level.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks