What's new

Pixar's 'Cars 3' - June 16, 2017 (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Pixar's embargo on reviews has been lifted and the early reviews for 'Cars 3' are looking generally positive! Some examples:

Variety: http://variety.com/2017/film/reviews/cars-3-review-owen-wilson-1202462054/

IGN: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/12/cars-3-review

USA Today: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2017/06/12/review-pixar-cars-3-movie/102725416/

I realize the 'Cars' franchise isn't a favorite among most Pixar fans. But I have a huge soft spot in my heart for the films. Even 'Cars 2' made it into my Blu-ray collection.

I'm pleased that the early reviews for 'Cars 3' look promising. I'm sure there will be more than a few critics that don't care for it. But we are going to see it regardless. Cathy and I have reserved two recliners in an upscale theater for a matinee on Friday. We've invited members of our car club to join us for the fun.

Mark

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I'm actually looking forward to seeing this with the kiddos. Sure, I have my reservations after that abomination that was C2, but I'm betting they learned their lesson and will deliver another great show.

Also cool that they used Paul Newman's voice work for this one as well.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Funny thing I have noticed is that Cars has gotten much more popular over time -- it seems to often hit the upper middle of the Pixar rankings now after roundly being dismissed as "Not even a Pixar movie" back at the beginning. Maybe the young boys who adored Cars when it first came out are now a bigger part of the Adult scene.

So many people when it first came out refused to even watch it because it was a Redneck NASCAR movie rather than a movie with race cars as some of the characters. I don't know if they thought it was going to be Days of Thunder or Rickey Bobby, but some folks apparently never watched anything other than the trailers or first 5 minutes and left. It was just bizarre the flashback it got starting as soon as the advance trailers were shown

I don;t mind Cars 2 though I have to go into it with the idea that it's not a sequel and just a standalone spy movie parody

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
As one review pointed out, the kids that were 7 when they saw the first 'Cars' film are 18 now. It makes sense that Pixar would give the third film a more "adult" script. And, based on what critics are saying, it appears to have been a good move.

With 14 critic reviews in so far, the current RT score is 64%.

Mark

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
What David said. Cars 2 is, IMHO, one of the better sequels from Pixar, way above Finding Dory, or Monster's U (not technically a sequel, but still).
That said, didn't they have any better ideas than Cars 3? How about Outside In? Wall-three?
Think I'll wait for the blu ;)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Looks like it will be good, despite all of the "qualifying" statements in the reviews. The lack of understanding of the qualities of the first film by these pro reviewers is what strikes me about every one of those reviews. Whatever. The first CARS film will eventually be recognized as the classic that it really was and this third film sounds like it will be a suitable bookend to McQueen's character arc.

Opening day viewing for me if at all possible.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What David said. Cars 2 is, IMHO, one of the better sequels from Pixar, way above Finding Dory, or Monster's U (not technically a sequel, but still).
That said, didn't they have any better ideas than Cars 3? How about Outside In? Wall-three?
Think I'll wait for the blu ;)

I wouldn't go that far. It an OK standalone, but it's near the bottom of my general Pixar list (Cars is mid pack) -- I enjoyed Finding Dory and Monsters U a lot more though I didn't think Dory was as good as many people did. Cars 2 is far cry better than almost all of the std Disney DTV sequels and better than quite a lot of Dreamworks sequels or even 1st run movies.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The first movie we took my kids to see in the theater was Cars 2; they were 2 1/2. We will be there this weekend.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm actually looking forward to seeing this with the kiddos. Sure, I have my reservations after that abomination that was C2, but I'm betting they learned their lesson and will deliver another great show.

Also cool that they used Paul Newman's voice work for this one as well.
How is Paul Newman's voice getting into the movie? Reusing previous recordings or unused recordings?

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
With 29 critic reviews in, 'Cars 3' is hanging tough with a 69% at RT. Their Critics Consensus:

Cars 3 has an unexpectedly poignant story to go with its dazzling animation, suggesting Pixar's most middle-of-the-road franchise may have a surprising amount of tread left.

We are looking forward to Friday!

Mark

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Down to 63% now. 56% rotten with Top Critics.

Ill see it eventually. Hell I have Cars 2 3D for years on my shelf unwatched. :D

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I saw it last night. No spoilers in this post.

The good news is that it completely ignores that Cars 2 ever happened. Other than the fact that the number in the title of this movie is "3," there is absolutely no reference to the events of the second film anywhere at all. The filmmakers have essentially attempted to make this this the Cars 2 that we should have gotten last time, in that it is a stylistic and tonal extension of the first film.

I liked the first film quite a bit more than most people did. This one is not as good as that, and I would consider it above average for a kids film, but below average for Pixar, but still much better than the second film. It evens out to a C grade IMO. It's not great, but it works well enough and doesn't stink up the joint like the last one did. And -- with the exception of Pixar's Coco and the Frozen short that will be attached to it -- all the other trailers which appeared before the movie look way worse than it. So, you could do a lot worse.

However: Lou, the short that plays in front of it, is TERRIFIC.

I will happily get into a more spoiler-y discussion once more people have seen it.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I saw it last night. No spoilers in this post.

The good news is that it completely ignores that Cars 2 ever happened. Other than the fact that the number in the title of this movie is "3," there is absolutely no reference to the events of the second film anywhere at all. The filmmakers have essentially attempted to make this this the Cars 2 that we should have gotten last time, in that it is a stylistic and tonal extension of the first film.

I liked the first film quite a bit more than most people did. This one is not as good as that, and I would consider it above average for a kids film, but below average for Pixar, but still much better than the second film. It evens out to a C grade IMO. It's not great, but it works well enough and doesn't stink up the joint like the last one did. And -- with the exception of Pixar's Coco and the Frozen short that will be attached to it -- all the other trailers which appeared before the movie look way worse than it. So, you could do a lot worse.

However: Lou, the short that plays in front of it, is TERRIFIC.

I will happily get into a more spoiler-y discussion once more people have seen it.
There's a Frozen short in front of Cars 3? That's one vote for seeing it. Still, I hope this is the last Cars movie. It's been done. But if the toys sell...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
No, sorry -- I should have been more clear. "Olaf's Frozen Adventure" (the 21-minute short that was originally developed as an ABC holiday special) will be running in front of Pixar's November release, Coco. What I meant to say in my original post is that both Coco and the Frozen short had individual trailers on the front of Cars, and those are the only two things that looked better than the film itself is.

I suspect Disney decided to do this because Coco (an original property based around Dia de Los Muertos and heavily culturally specific to Mexico) might be a harder sell than some of Pixar's other recent titles, and the presence of Frozen in front of it will help a lot in terms of getting butts in seats. Plus, it keeps Frozen and Disney's animation brand front-of-mind in a year where Disney Animation does not have their own theatrical release.

The actual PIxar short on the front of Cars 3 is called Lou, and is about a lost-and-found box on a school playground. It, too, is far better than the movie that follows it and is awesome.

As to the possibility of another sequel, the movie ends in such a way as there is a logical opening for that to happen if Pixar (or Disney's merchandising team) wants it done. But I would also be totally fine if this is the end.

Last edited:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We loved 'Cars 3'. 4 out of 5 stars. I will definitely buy it on Blu-ray and show in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater.

Mark

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Cars 3 was fun - maybe not as much fun as the first, but still a lot of fun. (I liked Cars 2.) Some more mature themes that will go over the heads of the little ones (when McQueen says "I never thought I wouldn't win" he could well be talking about white privilege). Nice to see Paul Newman's character used again - and the older cars. Visually, it was beautiful.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The original Cars is one of my least favorite Pixar movies. Maybe my least favorite. Cars 2 may not be a great movie, but at least it was fun. Our kids love it.

Overall, I thought Cars 3 was quite good. I did get a bit bored during the middle section. I won't mention specifics at this point as I'll wait for more people to see it. But to me, it's the best of the Cars movies. It deals with some more mature themes but was still fun for younger members of the audience.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Pixar's shorts are getting more and more boring. What is worse is that the one fronting CARS 3 had enough saccharine in it that I started worrying about getting diabetes. Terrible.

The film itself, I would give a B+ to an A-. B+ because the last 15 minutes or so disturbs the suspension of disbelief somewhat, considering how much trouble McQueen, as an experienced racer, was having winning against the main antagonist.

A- for the reminiscing about Doc Hudson that occ
urs in the bar and grill, and also for the scene where Cruz is kind of happy about

winning that trophy in the Crazy 8 and McQueen tears her a new one. What follows really does make one feel for her character.

All-in-all, my ranking of the films is 1, 3, and 2.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I want to touch on the 3D in this film. The use of 3D in Pixar films has never been really note worthy, but it has never been entirely lackluster, until now. When it comes to the use of 3D in the film, it feels like they barely tried. Not worth the extra money in this case.

The textures and backgrounds in the film are outstanding. This film is a major step forward in creating more naturalistic looking backdrops. The use of textures in the rocks, race tracks, etc. Is several orders of magnitude greater than either CARS 1 or 2 and it shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks