Pixar's 15th Anniversary 3-Pack: A Bug's Life / Toy Story / Toy Story 2: Anamorphic?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_M, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Jeff_M

Jeff_M Stunt Coordinator

Title just about says it all. I'm thinking about picking up this 3 pack but I'm wondering if all 3 titles are presented in anamorphic widescreen. I already have a non-anamorphic edition of Bugs life. I wonder how much better the anamorphic version will look!

2. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

A Bug's Life is presented in non-anamorphic widescreen even on this release I'm afraid. [​IMG]
    My recommendation would be to buy the spectacular Collector's Edition and sell the old one.

3. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

If you like the movies a lot, then The Ultimate Toy Box and Bug's Life CE are really the only way to go...

4. Jeff_M

Jeff_M Stunt Coordinator

What about the Toy Story/Toy Story 2 double pack? I'm not talking about the Ultimate Toy Box (I could care less about the extras). Is the double pack anamorphic?

5. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

indeed it is [​IMG]
    (cmon... get the Toy Box... you know you want it [​IMG] It's one of the best DVD sets ever produced [​IMG] )

6. Clint B

Clint B Second Unit

I concur with RobLutter about The Ultimate Toy Box...it is fantastic! There are so many extra features on that disc that really delve into how the movie was made and really make you see what a technological achievement Pixar and Disney created. Also, there are features on both movies that are only available in the Ultimate Toy Box--they are not available in the "regular" versions of Toy Story and Toy Story 2.

7. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

How does Non anamorphic look on Widescreen RPTV's? Do you have to zoom in to make them fit the screen? does it not look as good? I was thinking about getting this set, it's around 35 bucks, the toy box is 55....

8. Keith E

Keith E Stunt Coordinator

Isn't the Bug's Life (Collector's Edition) out of print now?

I haven't seen it for awhile now, I purchased a copy last year at Best Buy, but haven't seen it since.

9. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I think it may be. I picked it up at Costco about 2 months ago for $19.99... and I haven't seen it since. It is still active according to www.imageentertainment.com though... so it may just be between DVD pressings (or OOP). I saw it a couple of months ago at Best Buy for $27, but they are all out now.
    Try Costco, they may still have some at the bottom of the pile [​IMG]

10. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

The Collectors Edition of a Bugs Life is the only way to view this movie in anamorphic widescreen, and it does look excellent. Maybe 1 notch below Shrek in terms of quality, but I certainly would not want to watch a non-anamorphic version of this movie.

As for the supplements, ranking maybe second to the new Pearl Harbor set, I considered this to be one of the most well made special editions in my collection. The people at Pixar spent a lot of time going over every possible aspect of the making of the film. Everything from the original live action skit they filmed to try to get Disney's interest to making this film, to interviews with the voice talent, to storyboards, to the art department...its all covered here. And best of all, theres no fluff supplements.

Considering the price came down $10 about 6 months ago, there really is no excuse not to buy this film, unless you have no intention of watching it yourself and want it just for the kiddies.

11. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

People keep thinking the Bug's Life CE is OOP. It's not. It's just that most retailers are not carrying $40 discs in large quantities

12. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

13. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

14. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale