What's new

Pitchers and catchers reporting to spring training (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
BECHLER, the man's name is BECHLER! (After reading these recent posts, I kept thinking "Oh no, Tim Belcher also died from this diet drug").

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
From the Gammon Generator:

"The Phillies would like to acquire Bengie Molina, but they have to move salary in order to do so. This, and not the rumored duck incident, is the reason Rheal Cormier could become available."

I could just refresh that all day long. :D:laugh::D

Phil L

Supporting Actor
The first Yankees spring training game was today. It was shown in HDTV in Japan because of Matsui (who homered). Of course we won't see a game until march in NY and forget about HD until they're on ESPN HD. Are any teams games regularly going to be in HD?

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
So Thome and Matsui both homer in their first game with their respective clubs. It's only spring training...but is it an omen of things to come? 80 HRs this year: Sammy Sosa. :D

How about parading Hitchcock out in that NYY/CIN game? Aren't they going to dump him/his salary to fit in some unsigned prospects?

Good to see the Cardinals start off with a win over the Mets. They started Stephenson, who must've gotten off to a bad start - 2 IP, 5 H, but only 1 R. I'm really hoping Ankiel finally comes through this year - they surely need some help in the SP area. Picking up Tomko was a good move, IMO. He's shown good stuff when he was with the Padres and hopefully in a new environment he'll be able to evolve into a viable #3 or 4 starter.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
x2

but while I'm here..a Gammons note:
"Most expect the Expos duo of Orlando Hernandez and Tomo Ohka to be fine, but Javier Vazquez may have to be traded to get to budget, but if his tender hair scares off suitors, they may have to lay off an elevator operator or two."

Phil L

Supporting Actor
El Duque in Montreal- Duque drove Torre nuts. I can't imagine what'll happen with Frank Robinson.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
How about parading Hitchcock out in that NYY/CIN game? Aren't they going to dump him/his salary to fit in some unsigned prospects?
Just how dumb do you figure the rest of the league is? :) Who on Earth would pick up Hitchcock without the Yankees paying some of their salary? Even the Royals are only that gullible when there's a "proven closer" involved, and the brain-sink in Tampa Bay probably doesn't have the cash to pay him.

And now, the obligatory Random Diamond Note: "The blues are being sung around the Devil Rays clubhouse, after Greg Vaughn's woman left him, and he felt so sad and lonely he went and got himself a chemically imbalanced skull, but. If he can get himself together, and Ben Grieve can come around, and Chuck LaMar can pull in a solid pitcher like Will Ohman, Tampa Bay will have to be reckoned with."

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
A valid point - although I imagine that right now, even John Hart isn't going to be willing to take overpaid players off the Yankees' hands.

ORDN: "If moving Enrique Wilson to shortstop works, it takes pressure off Hideki Matsui and his oft-injured skull so he can concentrate on what he does best--hit like a q-tip."

Phil L

Supporting Actor
I just saw the Red Sox red uniforms. I always knew the Sox were masochistic, now I have proof.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
They're only spring training/warmup/sales-to-suckers jerseys, though. Come March 31st, it's back to the classic look.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
What is in the outfield of Busch Stadium? Drew injured, Edmonds injured. Are there landmines out there somewhere?

For some reason, I'm just not as hyped about opening day this year as I was last year. Maybe it'll just take a week of decent weather to get me in the mood.

RDN: The Diamondbacks are in the move mode, shopping Steve Finley, Beltran Perez, Brad Cresse, et al. But teams like the Cardinals, the Expos, and the Red Sox have passed on them thus far because they're all so sympathetic, and nobody likes that, not even Walt Jocketty, and he's a hippo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks