What's new

Pitch-O-Rama - Fox wants your ideas! (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
"Attention animators, writers, artists, and students: Here’s your chance to pitch your ideas to a major network in FOX’s first-ever “Pitch-O-Rama.” Creative individuals who have a fresh, innovative idea for an animated comedy show are encouraged to submit their material together with a signed release form. Each individual may submit no more than two projects and each project must be submitted separately and accompanied by a separate release form.

Your idea could become the next FOX hit. Good luck!"

http://fox.com/pitchorama/

Looks like they need another show to be preempted by sports programming. :) What do you think about this? Is this an act of desperation because they think Hollywood writers are so bad, or are they reaching out to the common man?

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I have an idea, actually 2......"Family Guy" and "Futurama"
I'll second that idea. :emoji_thumbsup:

Biggest mistakes Fox has made recently is the cancellation of these two animated programs. Both were cutting edge adult animated humor, and both are widely popular amount a growing number of people (especially now that the DVD Boxed-Sets are out). It's too bad they were playing David vs. Goliath with Futurama (pre-empting it for Football :thumbsdown: ), and Pin the tail on the Timeslot with Family Guy.

Moe.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
How about NFL Death Squad- Every week the team tries to prevent their own pre-emption and eventual cancellation at the hands of muscled moronic overpaid jocks who can't tell time.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'll have to go with Will. Fox clearly cancelled the wrong shows and history will look at them and say "what WERE they thinking?"

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Why not, unless they cannot get back the production crews. It doesn't really matter, virtually any show that is put in those 7:00-8:00 timeslots is going to fail. I wish that Fox just put "Futurama" in the 8:30 slot after X-Files ended, and moved "Malcolm" to 9:00 which by then could stand on its own in most timeslots. As I recall, "Futurama" did pretty well in the ratings in the brief time it followed "The Simpsons"

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Whatever the concept I think it should be called "Cancelled Midseason" Because Fox likes to squash shows that need nurturing to find an audience.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
(especially now that the DVD Boxed-Sets are out)
Seriously! Family Guy must have very much outsold Fox's expectations as (at least where I live) it was very hard to find for the first couple of weeks. Futurama made the top 10 its first week as well. And as I understand, the two shows have become very popular in Syndication

Chris Hicks

Stunt Coordinator
how about a cartoon about a network that makes cartoons that people love only to cancel them. then the viewers on the cartoon can hunt down the network execs and go Itchy and Scratchy on them.

Shane Archer

Agent
I sat in on both the Futurama and Adult Swim panels at the San Diego Comic Con this year. Both were well attended, each with at least a couple thousand fans.

The Adult Swim production crew admitted that their main focus at the moment is trying to figure out a way to produce new episodes of both Futurama and Family Guy, which have easily become some of the most popular re-run shows on Cartoon Network. They didn't think it would be easy, but they said they were making progress and it was a definite possibility.

Matt Groening indicated that the chances of ever bringing Futurama back to the FOX network were slim-to-none, although he said they were open to proposals from Cartoon Network. Bringing the entire original production cast back would be nearly impossible (especially since Katey Segal has a hit on her hands with 8 Simple Rules) but many of the original writers/voice actors are willing.

Groening also said he did not harbor a grudge towards FOX and was in the process of developing ideas for new shows with them. He jokingly said, "they asked me for an idea, so I pitched a show about a sexy one-eyed alien working for a delivery company set, oh, about a thousand years in the future..."

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Bringing the entire original production cast back would be nearly impossible (especially since Katey Segal has a hit on her hands with 8 Simple Rules)
How time-consuming is voice work? Would they be able to work around Katey Segal, if this were to happen?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
". Bringing the entire original production cast back would be nearly impossible (especially since Katey Segal has a hit on her hands with 8 Simple Rules) but many of the original writers/voice actors are willing."

As long as Billy West and John DiMaggio came back I could probably live with other changes (as they did most of the voices on the show anyway)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I think it's more a matter of affording Katey Segal. However, they could tape her lines in the off-season, no sweat

Shane Archer

Agent
Yea, it's definitely a money thing. I'm sure they would be open to having Katey back. As for Billy West and John DiMaggio, both seemed extremely excited at the prospect (I seem to remember DiMaggio standing up on his chair and yelling "Hell yea!" at the prospect).

There are a *lot* of behind-the-scenes people that work on these shows, though, that would not be back. When a show is in production, there is an entire staff working on it, from concept to storyboarding to rough animation to final animation to sound and so on. When the show goes belly up for whatever reason, the studio (in this case, Rough Draft) scales back, and many of the people move on to other jobs in other places. I think the statement that both Groening and David Cohen (producer) echoed was that if and when new episodes were produced, some of the voice talent would change, but almost all of the behind-the-scenes stuff would change, including writers. That also, of course, would depend on the budget of whoever was paying for the show.

Seth MacFarlane, the creator/producer of Family Guy, has been working on other projects but apparently told the Cartoon Network people that he is open to doing more Family Guy stuff, just not right now.

Anyway, that's the extent of what I know. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks