What's new

Pitch Black: wow and again, wow, wow wow! (1 Viewer)

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
This movie is particular (note: unrated version, DTS selected ), one of its kind even if it uses classic elements of sci-fi big brothers, from ALIEN to ALIENS to MAD MAX etc.
Technically, this dvd is fabulous: the image is extraordinary ( very stylised of course ) with incredible blues, oranges, whites etc, maximum film-like definition, absolutely no EE, superb contrast and depth. The DTS, sound oh my God!! the dynamic is out of this world, the bass are ultra deep and super tight, the violence of the soundtrack (horns and 15" help dramatically to give you that right-in-the-stomach violent punch and dialogue liveliness) is fabulous (note: the dts has a clear edge here, though a different mix is likely). The sound recording is top notch.
It's systeme challenging at reference level. Buyer's beware....
It carries an undoubtful apocalyptic "we won't make it" tone and thus can be classified in the category of ALIEN 3/4, MAD MAX, SCREAMERS.
Universal surely did not mess up that dvd!!!
I've watched it several times, each time the impact gets bigger. Go figure.... it's the SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, sound speaking, of SCI FI action movies. That could sum it up pretty well I'd say
wink.gif
and of course, VIN DIESEL rules! (note: he played in both...... :) )
system used: JBL cinema speakers and Denon A10, power amp 2x275watts, calibrated lcd projector RGB signal, 120' screen. A CRT would be ideal for the numerous night scenes where 1000:1 contrast ratio and real deep blacks are compulsory.

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
David I agree.This movie is fantastic,especially when they crash at the beginning.What a long crash sequence, butI love using it as a demo.In DTS of course.What type of processor do you use?

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I too love this movie. VERY underrated. There's a score CD available now from supercollector.com. I heard last night that there was a sequel in the works "The Journal of Reddic", but who knows if it's true. Even if it is, I don't think we need a sequel to this movie.
Mike
------------------
Listen to my radio station - Starman's Neverland

andreasingo

Stunt Coordinator
The opening crash and the last fourty minutes was great, Vin Diesel too, but I hated all the minor characters.

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Robert!
wink.gif

Nothing special, the European equivalent of the DENON 4800: the A10SE (check my unfinished system below ). DENON btw will introduce soon the succesor, the 4802 ( variablre crossover point, DTS ES DISCRETE and !! 96khz 24bits DTS, THX, 7x125w though this is a bit overdone, DPL II).
But believe, the speakers make 90% of the sound here. recommended.
I love this movie. I don't understand why so many sites were not stunned by the soundtrack (dts): it's fabulous, has such a punch. Maybe an hardware issue :D
Mike: yes, a sequel or prequel ( the search and arrest of Riddik) is in the works. Twohy again ( which surprised many with THE ARRIVAL ).
------------------
my ht...
http://www.photopoint.com/visitalbums/
enter my email: [email protected]

I too love this movie. VERY underrated. There's a score CD available now from supercollector.com. I heard last night that there was a sequel in the works "The Journal of Reddic", but who knows if it's true. Even if it is, I don't think we need a sequel to this movie.
It's true. Vin has the coolest voice since James Earl Jones did darth vader. My wife is TOTALLY infatuated with ANYTHING Vin Diesel.
rolleyes.gif
I must admit I like his acting & all around presence on screen.
------------------

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
Boy am I glad I'm not the only one who really liked this movie. I saw it when it first opened and loved it, fun and campy sci-fi.
I got the DVD and saw it a couple of times, but didn't pay attention to the sound, I'll be sure to pop it in tonight after work and check it out.
Glad to hear a sequel/prequel is in the works.
F

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Might as well chime in with my praise. I also thought this was one of the best sci-fi movies I'd seen in years. And I'm also glad to hear there is a sequel/prequel in the works.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I too love the crash sequence. But I'm forced to wonder how something with the aerodynamics of a brick could ever be controlable in an enviroment that contains gravity.
------------------
scott.jpg

Recently, we sneaked into the Klingon's engine and replaced dilithium crystals with new Folger's Crystals.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I STILL have not seen this movie yet! With all this positive feedback, I just might have to pick it up! I'm sure I will like it!
------------------

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
John
note that there are two versions, rated and unrated: the unrated only adds a few moments of dialogue. pick this one. and listen to the dvd in DTS!! really. and loud!
yum.gif

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
The opening crash sequence is one of my favorite demo scenes. I love this DVD.
------------------
http://darius.mobius-soft.com/~andrea/ht/

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Actually I thought he kicked ass in Boiler Room. Anybody see this??
While not the best movie on the planet I really enjoyed his performance in this role - non action.
Greg

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I have a feeling Vin Diesel is going to be the new action hero. Stallone, Schwarzenegger and Van Damme are all getting to old.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, guess I'll have to give this one a second look. I've only seen it in theaters, and aside from a few choice scenes (like the crash, of course), I was not really into the movie at all. I remember thinking it was just TOO derivative.
Perhaps I'll enjoy it more on DVD. Based on what I've read here, the movie deserves a second chance.
------------------
Scott
TheAngryJew's Movie Reviews at HBS.com
AOL IM: TheAngryJew29

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
Scott
hi
note I adore this movie played loud, very punchy and undistorted and with a big image. Maybe i would not love it so much on a regular set up ( I don't what's yr set up, that's not my point). I mean, I like a lot too RED PLANET, which as PB, I consider a sci fi thrill ride when played with big sound and image.
That's not to say PB has not intrinseque value, it has, definitely but my utter joy comes from this combination: PB + big sound and big image.
just to avoid seeing a flock of you guys going buying the dvd and come back later to complain
biggrin.gif
( comment: I doubt you would complain as the majority of scifi/action fans like it, some a lot).
------------------
my ht...
http://www.photopoint.com/visitalbums/
enter my email: [email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks