What's new

Pitch Black: SE? (1 Viewer)

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
With the "Chronicles of Riddick" coming out this Summer and the current Pitch Black DVD now out of print, will Universal be releasing an SE version of the movie in time for the sequel?

Kami

Screenwriter
Seems plausible, though I'm not in a huge hurry to buy one unless there is major improvements. I consider the current release to have a damn fine transfer and audio!

Rob T

Screenwriter
I love the unrated disc. There would need to be significant improvements for me to buy it again.

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
Im hoping that there will be one. Im sure they will do one to help promote riddick. I hope they have both cuts on it if they do.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
For an OOP title, there sure seems to be an endless supply of both the Unrated and Rated versions at B&M and online retailers. There are also a couple hundred copies being traded on eBay monthly for well below retail.

Not only that, but both these versions are the Special Edition variety already:

OAR (anamorphic)
5.1 DTS
5.1 DD
Two Commentary Tracks: Director David Twohy and Actors Vin Diesel and Cole Hauser; David Twohy and Producer Tom Engelman and Visual Effects Supervisor Peter Chiang.
Featurette on the Making-Of Pitch Black
Raveworld Pitch Black Event
Theatrical Trailers

I can't imagine them adding anything except for a trailer and promo material for 'Chronicles of Riddick'. Considering how poorly Vin Disel's and David Twohy's recent films have performed at the box office they are going to need all the help they can get to insure a large opening weekend attendance.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

This is Universal, which never passes up an opportunity to cross-promote when it can. Chances are very good that it will repackage Pitch Black in some way. I hope it includes Into Pitch Black this time.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
After reading all the posts and what the extras are for the current Unrated version of Pitch Black, I went ahead and got the current version, since the current version has everything I want in a DVD anyways (especially that awesome DTS track).

There were only 2 left at Best Buy. One of them had the plastic wrap ripped 1/2 off and the other had bits of it ripped off. I had to settle for the latter and after opening it, there were no problems with the case itself. Thanks everyone for your input and feedback. :D

GeorgeRF

Auditioning
Would deleted scenes help sell copies of a special edition? Here's a question I asked Vin Diesel in an online chat, and his reply. Your guess is as good as mine (and apparently his!) as to how much was filmed but not included in the movie.

me: Hi, loved your performance in Pitch Black. Did you film any scenes that didn't make it into the movie? What did we miss?

VinDiesel: Good question
VinDiesel: There are a few scenes that didn't make it in
VinDiesel: Right now you have me stumped
VinDiesel: I can't remember which ones
VinDiesel: I'm so sorry
VinDiesel: When you do a film with cgi so much changes
VinDiesel: so very seldom do directors cut scenes that have FX
VinDiesel: So we didn't lose much
VinDiesel: Maybe some different edits
VinDiesel: Or budget didn't let us overshoot
VinDiesel: GA

(I'm sure he meant "our budget," but I didn't want to edit what he said in the chat. In case "GA" isn't familiar, it's a signal to the moderator to go ahead with the next question.)

Kevin Phillips

Auditioning
(Hi everyone. First time posting to this forum)

Pitch Black has been on my wish-list for a while. After reading this thread, with no definitive release date for an SE, I went ahead and picked it up at Best Buy while its still easy to get.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
There's always a copy or two of Pitch Black at my local used dvd store. This must have been one of the first dvds I bought, and I don't think I'd bother double dipping in the future, as the sound and PQ is already excellent.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Great disk, one of the best Sci-Fi/Horror flicks to date. And you gotta love Riddick's bad a$$ attitude and killer eyes!!

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Love this movie myself. But what will a SE add to the existing unrated version. Sound is great, especially DTS. I guess they can show a little more about those birds and give us more information about them. But not much else I think.

Dustin Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
Just picked up a copy at CC for $19 and change. That's a better pice than I could find on line.

One of my sci-fi favs I must say.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks