What's new

PITA Credit Card Company (1 Viewer)

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
My wife and I use our VISA fairly often but we always pay off the balance. We have bought everything from DVDs to my RPTV. Sometimes when I go shopping at a mall, my first one or two purchases go fine but the second or third will be declined. I'll have to call the company from the register and state who I am, give my password to everyone there, and then they'll approve the purchase. It's pretty embarrassing. Last time it happened in a mall, my three purchases for the day totaled about $200. Not exactly breaking the bank. Recently I ordered a SVS 25-31. The credit card company called to be sure that we had made the purchase. I have a balance of about $100 from this month's activity and my limit is over $10K. What the hell! I almost bought earrings for my wife last week, but I don't want these idiots calling her to tell her what I bought her for Christmas.

Do other people get calls like this? I never got them with other card companies. I spoke with customer service and they stated that they are trying to protect me. That's B.S. because my contract says I am not liable if my card is stolen. So basically, they are covering their own butts. Am I right?
Ralph

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
You are right. Ditch this place and get another card.

American Express did this to me last year, sort of. I bought a car in California and had to fly down there. I charged everything (airfare, hotel reservations, gas, food, etc) to my Amex. The car I bought is known for unreliable gas gauges, and with a major engine swap in her, I had no idea how far I could go on a tank. Therefore, I was stopping every 130 miles or so for gas.

About halfway up Oregon on I-5 my card was declined. A quick call to customer service revealed their computer flagged my card as "suspected fraud" due to all of the recent charges. I gave them some details and explained I was travelling and they cleared it.

Haven't had a problem since. We charge over $3k per month on that card and pay it off every month, so needless to say, it is heavily used.

I did have a problem with a Visa when I bought my RPTV. The cashier had to call the bank and get some code to put into her register before it would take it due to the large purchase amount. I've never had that problem with American Express, and I've made some major purchases with their card.

I suggest opening an account elsewhere, and when you close this one, make sure they know why.

Denward

Supporting Actor
That is a PITA and makes the credit card fairly useless, since it negates the convenience factor. Card companies are supposed to have some sort of algorithm to decide if you're doing something outside of your norm. If you're at a shopping mall in your hometown making small purchases, then the computer should be smart enough to recognize that. If you start making $3000 charges 500 miles from home, then I would expect to have to verify my identity. I would complain and threaten to switch cards. BTW, who's your card issuer? Mine is Chase.

The only time I got phone calls like this was when I went to China and used my card there.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
My card issuer is First USA. The card really does nothing for me, no miles, rebates etc. The interest rate is low, but that point is moot because we pay the balance off each month. I also had to call when I bought my RPTV, but for a $3K purchase I was a little more understanding and I gave the sales person the disclaimer that he should get ready to call the 1-800 # on the back of the card.

I was really pissed about the subwoofer. This was my Christmas present from my wife, and she pretty much had me order it so she bought the one I wanted. If I wasn't involved with the purchase, First USA would have spoiled a pretty big surprise. I will not be buying her present with the card though.

Teh one reason I have been reluctant to cancel this card is because I have registered my RPTV and my HD STB which has added a year to the manufacturer's warranty. I'll probably hold on to it until the warranty is up. In the meantime what cards out there have good benefits? I would prefer to stay with VISA.

Ralph

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
About halfway up Oregon on I-5 my card was declined. A quick call to customer service revealed their computer flagged my card as "suspected fraud" due to all of the recent charges. I gave them some details and explained I was travelling and they cleared it.
had a similar experience picking up my motorcycle, I guess gas charges in particular set off red flags when they're in multiple states on the same day, or so they told me (amex)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks