Pirates of the Caribbean

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JamesH, Jul 2, 2003.

1. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Anyone buy this one yet? I was really looking forward to it, but I've already seen reports of massive slowdown and lockups. I'm a huge fan of Xbox morrowind, but I don't think I have the patience to play through another Bestheda hackjob. So for the people who have it, just how bad are the bugs?

2. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    Where did you see these reports at? I'm interested in this title as well but, with KOTOR due right around the corner, I'm not going to mess with this title if it can't compete.

IGN's very recent hands on preview of KOTOR sounds pretty sweet.

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

4. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

The slowdown isn't my biggest concern, I'm more worried about the lockups. I've read multiple accounts of people who have had it freeze several times within the very few hours they've played it, and if Morrowind is any indication, it could get much worse over time. Have you played enough to assess how stable it is? With all the delays, this is something that should've been fixed if present.

5. Romier S

Romier S Producer

6. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

so, Romier, do you like it? Games Domain gave it a pretty lukewarm review...

7. SarahG

SarahG Second Unit

Hey...I read somewhere that if you play through the intro, tuturial and oxbay..blah blah blah then turn off your Xbox after saving...then turning it back on that everything should be ok...did you find that once you got going...turned it off and started playing again the next time that it was a lot less buggy??

8. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

9. Mario_Y

Mario_Y Stunt Coordinator

Tried to pick it up at Blockbuster, they're behind....[​IMG]

10. Romier S

Romier S Producer

11. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

Thanks Romier!

12. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Corrected some messy spelling errors though (should remember to spell check before I save the word doc..lol)

13. Scott_W

Scott_W Stunt Coordinator

I've been playing this a lot, and have been enjoying it for the most part. I've restarted to better focus my character (though who knows how much difference the skills really make in some cases).

You mention the difference between the arcade and realistic sailing model Romier, can you explain the difference? I saw the option when starting, and have since forgotten about it.

14. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    I really wanted to buy this one but, the landbased gameplay sounds bad. Think I'll rent...maybe.

Besides...KOTOR!!!!!!!

...soon boys, soon....

15. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Arrrrrrrrr, looks like it's the plank for this one.

I hope KOTOR lives up to the huge expectations it has. Otherwise there's nothing new on Xbox until Otogi in 6 weeks.

16. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I couldn't resist the pirateyness of it any more and I bought it last night (I like the free movie ticket included, btw). It definitely chugs when you start it up but so far it hasn't crippled the gameplay to me, although I only have very early impressions [​IMG] I'm going to have get used to the sailing, though. The first storm I ran through, I somehow got stuck going in circles until finally a bolt of lightning struck the ship and I died [​IMG]

17. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

storms suck
    usually i'll just lower my sails and try to sail into or directly away from the wind. one of those load screens told me this and it seems to work good.

18. SarahG

SarahG Second Unit

I tried to rent it at Hollywood video to not avail...gonna buy it this weekend. Didn't know that you got a free movie ticket. Thats cool since I want to see that too!!

sounds like the sailing is pretty true to real sailing..i mean you gotta always lower your sails in a storm.... can't wait to acutally get into this...

19. Mario_Y

Mario_Y Stunt Coordinator

I'm planning on renting it (RPG nut), but I'm waiting on Morrowind Gold and KOTOR...![​IMG]

20. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Thanks for the reviews, fellas. I just bought the game and had to stop by here to see what the HTF Gamers had to say.

Off-topic: when does KOTOR come out for the Xbox?