What's new

Pirates of the Caribbean sails on Dec. 2 (1 Viewer)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Well, at least your being honest about it. ;)

Haven't seen the movie yet, but I guess I'll have to soon before it goes out of theaters. The DVD sounds good.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
but I guess I'll have to soon before it goes out of theaters. The DVD sounds good.
Ray, the DVD does sound good, and with the additional good comments on the film I want to see it too. But at this point, I'm gonna just wait and get the DVD. It's less than 3 months away now.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Watched POTC again last night and had just as much fun with it as I did the first time I saw it. Its spot on my shelf is already reserved.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
DAMMIT! R2 GETS DTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

From DVD ANSWERS

Buena Vista Home Entertainment have now officially announced the region two release of Pirates Of The Carribean starring Johnny Depp, Geoffrey Rush and Orlando Bloom. The disc will be arriving even earlier than expected, with the street date currently set at the 1st December this year. The retail price should be set at around £19.99 in total. First impressions would suggest that the disc will be identical to the region one release with the only exception being the addition of a rather lovely DTS track. The full disc specs for this one are attached below along with another look at the official region two artwork:

Anamorphic Widescreen Transfer

English DTS Track

English Dolby Digital 5.1 Track

Audio Commentaries with Director, Stars and Writers

An Epic at Sea Featurette
Fly on the Set Feature

Production Diaries

Below Deck Featurette

Deleted Scenes & Blooper Reel

Moonlight Serenade Scene Progression

Pirates in the Park Feature

Enhanced Computer Features

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
It's a Jerry Bruckheimer 2 disc set with NO DTS??!!! This fun pirate romp would have been grrrreeeaaaat in DTS.

Beauty and the Beast suffered more from over cramming the video portion of the disc, not so much the audio. They had three video streams, plus a bunch of unnecessary fluff (that could have been dumped on to another disc or just dumped altogether) all crammed into one disc.

Hopefully, the specs. are wrong for PotC!

Dan

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Beauty and the Beast suffered more from over cramming the video portion of the disc, not so much the audio. They had three video streams, plus a bunch of unnecessary fluff (that could have been dumped on to another disc or just dumped altogether) all crammed into one disc.
Yes but even when stuff is evenly spread out, it's rather naive to think the mastering job will automatically turn out any better.

Look at Gangs of New York (region 1 or 2), spread over 2 discs on the R1 release with enough room to breathe and still looks an utter mess. DTS or no DTS (and I'd rather it didn't have it personally), I'm honestly not expecting much from the mastering job on Pirates of the Caribbean.

Dan (UK)

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
I wouldn't mind a the film over 2 discs to give us the best in picture and sound. Of course, this is coming from a man that is used to CAV laserdiscs. :D

AJG

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I wouldn't mind a the film over 2 discs to give us the best in picture and sound.
Aaron,

Again, that was my point. The Gangs of New York DVD proved that even with that option, it is no guarantee the mastering job will be up to scratch.

Dan (UK)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Roogs,

Thanks for the DTS confirmation. You've made me a happy man :)

BTW folks, Disney just sent me a screener for *some of the extra special-feature content* that will be on the final DVD set. Do you want me to review it (not the movie...just some of the extras)???

dave :)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Although I am eagerly counting the minutes until I can get my fingers on the TTT: EE, I'm happy tonight because I was able to get a hold of the Pirates of the Caribbean DVD a bit early.

I thought I'd share some info on all the goodies found within.

Disc 1 - The DVD begins with several forced trailers (for Lion King 1 1/2, Freaky Friday, Hidalgo and Spy Kids 3), but they're the kind that are chapter-skippable.

We start with Audio Options: English 5.1, French 5.1, English DTS. Captions: English for the hearing impaired. Subtitles: French. There's also a THX optimizer.

Special features on disc 1 are limited to:

1. Sneak Peeks - the aforementioned trailers along with three others (Disney Cruise Line, ABC's Alias and Disney World's Mission Space)

2. Audio Commentaries - 1. Director Gore Verbinski and Johnny Depp / 2. Keira Knightley & Jack Davenport commentary with Jerry Bruckheimer interview / 3. Screenwriters Ted Elliot, Terry Rossio, Jay Wolpert and Stuart Beattie

3. Enhanced Computer Features - DVD-ROM material: Script- Scanner, Storyboard Viewer, "Dead Men Tell No Tales: The History of the Attraction", "Moonlight Becomes Ye: Effects Studio", Disneyland Pirates Virtual Reality Viewer, Pirates of the Caribbean Attraction Image Gallery

--That's it for Disc 1. I really wish the "History of the Attraction" featurette had made it onto the DVD as opposed to DVD-ROM, but oh well. Notice that I haven't mentioned the TRAILERS yet?

Moving on to Disc 2

1. An Epic at Sea - (37:52) - Hit "Play All" to see all of the chapters: Intro, The Actors, Locations, Production Design, The Ships, Costumes and Make-Up, Stunts and Swords, Visual Effects, The Premiere

--Not a bad collection of featurettes; they're half-fluffy and half-fascinating.

2. Fly on the Set - (20:47) - Hit "Play All" to see all of the chapters: Town Attack, Tortuga, Blacksmith Shop, The Cave, Jack's Hanging

--This is solid stuff. It's nothing more than video footage as Gore Verbinski orchestrates several different action sequences. No voice-over, no mugging for the camera, just a straightforward look at the arduous task of filmmaking.

Easter Egg: From the "Fly on the Set" menu, start on "Play All" and click to the right. The monkey's tooth will light up. Click it and you get a sped-up (and very cool) look at the Pirate's Cave construction. It runs 2:39.

3. Diaries:

A. Producer's Photo Diary - (4:17) - Bruckheimer talks about the film as a series of his photographs float by. It's a photo gallery with commentary, basically, and it's pretty cool.

B. Diary of a Pirate - (9:35) - Actor Lee Arenberg ("Pintel" in the film; he was the bald chubby one of the two "comic relief" pirates) delivers a video diary of his time on the movie. Fun stuff.

C. Diary of a Ship - (11:00) - A featurette on the "Lady Washington", a lovely ship that was purchased to play "The Interceptor" in the movie. From California to the Panama Canal to Cartagena, Columbia (for emergency repairs!) to its destination of St. Vincent, the Lady Washington spent 40 days on its voyage, and this great little featurette is a fascinating account.

4. Below Deck: An Interactive History of Pirates - This feature is accessible one of three ways: you can "set sail" (which takes you to an interactive view of the Black Pearl and you can then click around to get the clips); you can select "A Prisoner's Last Tale" which plays everything in order for you; or you can access whatever suits your fancy via a Scene Index. "Captain's Quarters" offers stuff like Code and Conduct, How Piracy Began, Capt. Kidd, Edward Lowe, What They Stole and many others. "On Deck" offers Punishments, Nature's Wrath; "The Gunnery" has Weapons and Battles; "The Galley" delivers Daily Life, Superstitions. I've left several of the headings out since I don't want to spoil the thrill of discovery, but there's some fascinating material in this section.

I tried watch this feature through the "Prisoner's Last Tale/Play All" method, but you're probably best off accessing each of the 24 mini-featurettes indivually through the Index. Overall, I think this is a great collection of mini-docos on the subject of pirates. Maritime historian David Cordingly presents anecdotes, film and TV clips, old portraits and historical documents regarding piracy, and anyone fascinated by the old-fashioned sea-faring scoundrels should have an absolute ball "Below Deck".

Easter Egg: From the "Below Deck" menu, start on "Set Sail" and click to the left. The center of the medallion will light up. Click it and you get an extended Animatic sequence that runs 6:50.

5. Blooper Reel - (3:10) - Chuckles, bloopers and silly faces. Cute.

6. Deleted Scenes - 19 deleted scenes, and yes there is a Play All button. No commentary of any kind, but there are brief text explanations as to where the scene originally went. (I'm saving the deleted scenes until after I watch the movie again. ;) )

7. "Moonlight Serenade" Scene Progression - (6:31) - An effects-intensive look at one of the film's more memorable sequences (when Ms. Swan discovers the truth about the pirate's undeadosity. Fans of CGI work (and excellent CGI work if you're askin' me) should really enjoy this piece.

Easter Egg: From the "Moonlight Serenade" menu, start on "Main Menu" and click down once. The corpse's tooth will light up. Click it and you get a brief interview with Keith Richards (!) as he comments on how Depp used him as inspiration for his Jack Sparrow character! :laugh: It runs 47 seconds.

8. Image Gallery - Gallery headings: Inspiration, Concept Art, Storyboards (Blacksmith Shop, Black Pearl vs. Interceptor, Dauntless Capture, Captain Jack Sparrow), Costumes, Production, Publicity

9. Pirates in the Parks - This heading contains two items:

1. A portion of a 1968 TV production entitled "Disneyland: From the Pirates of the Caribbean to the World of Tomorrow", which is a nostalgic promotional piece that focuses on the "new" attractions at Disneyland and runs 17:55.

2. The same "trailer" for the DVD-ROM features that you'll find on Disc 1.

10. Enhanced Computer Features - So, um, for the THIRD time on this 2-disc set, we're being shown what's available via DVD-ROM.

All special features are presented in Full Frame with 2.0 audio. No subtitles are offered on the features.
--

So there you have it; a pretty stocked 2-disc set, though I do have two relatively minor complaints. 1. I really wish the history of the Disneyland ride had been covered more on the DVD features, as opposed to it being relegated to DVD-ROM access. 2. C'mon Disney! Where are the trailers? There were two or three really cool trailers for this movie, and (speaking as a die-hard trailer fan) I really wish they'd been included. Heck, even ONE would have been nice.

Ah well, all in all I'm quite happy with the treatment this amazingly entertaining movie has received. And I suspect most of the fans will agree with me. Looking forward to enjoying the commentary tracks and the rest of the "Below Deck" feature. Good job, Disney. Despite the missing trailers, this is a bang-up DVD package.

Dannie

Stunt Coordinator
ooo thanks for the easter eggs i didnt really look for them! i had my dvd since sometime last week i got pirates and bruce almighty the same day

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
DTS confirmed!

Wooohoo.

Can't wait to get the disc to do a review! Thanks for the mini pre-review Scott! Nice dish on the extras...

So there you have it; a pretty stocked 2-disc set, though I do have two relatively minor complaints. 1. I really wish the history of the Disneyland ride had been covered more on the DVD features, as opposed to it being relegated to DVD-ROM access. 2. C'mon Disney! Where are the trailers? There were two or three really cool trailers for this movie, and (speaking as a die-hard trailer fan) I really wish they'd been included. Heck, even ONE would have been nice.
Agreed. I worried from the demo-dvd that the historic footage would not be comprehensive...just give us the whole thing! (hopefully we'll see that on a Disney Treasures sometime in the future). The trailer is also on the demo-disc (4x3 lbx 5.1) so it exists...too bad it's not on the DVD...though if it wasn't 16x9 I wouldn't have cared.

dave :)

p.s. Dannie too? Just where are you guys getting those DVDs...do you work in a Buena Vista DVD factory? :D

still waiting...

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
David,
You are losing touch with the peons! I am waiting to walk into a store and PAY cash money for my copy on the release date :D

Sounds like an excellent 2 disc set.

My wife will be thrilled!

Take care,
Chuck

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
A few amendments to my earlier Extras Report...

-The Knightley/Davenport/Bruckheimer commentary track is actually two separate collections of "isolated scenes" with commentary, one track series with the two actors and the other with the producer. Each of these commentary tracks can be "Play All-ed" or individually.

I highly recommend ;) the Knightley/Davenport commentary segments, as the two of them are a whole lot of droll British fun. They're both rather self-deprecating and quite charming as they chit-chat over several scenes.

But I noticed that the menu screens spelled her name "Keira Knightly"...which is not the correct spelling!

I began listening to the screenwriters' commentary, and it's interesting to hear the "first drafters" talk about the many changes that Rossio and Elliot made along the way.

I'd have finished that audio track...but I just got some brown-boxed 4-disc set that's screaming for my attention. ;)

And to answer the question of picture quality, I'll leave the more technical opinions to those with the proper equipment and expertise, but I'd say the movie looks crystal-clear and quite nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks