What's new

Pirates of the Caribbean: Part 5 (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Dark Horizons is reporting that the script is finished and no director has signed. But, Disney wants Tim Burton. That would be absolutely fantastic to have Burton behind the wheel.

Tim Burton, Sam Raimi, Shawn Levy, Chris Weitz and Alfonso Cuaron are all being brought up as possible back-up directors on a fifth "Pirates of the Caribbean" film says Cinema Blend.

An offer has reportedly been out to 'On Stranger Tides' director Rob Marshall since January, but he hasn't signed as yet. If Marshall doesn’t return then Disney's alleged big hope is to score Burton whom they wanted for the fourth film.

Marshall's lack of interest isn't surprising as he's looking likely to re-team with Depp on "The Thin Man" remake instead. The script for the fifth 'Pirates' has reportedly been finished for weeks.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
One bad film out of so many. Most directors do much worst than those odds. Heck, just look at Bryan Singer, the majority of his films are bad.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Colin Jacobson

Tim Burton directed a Superman film? That's news to me!

Where did I say "directed"? He got a big payday to do so (5 mil). Kept the project in development hell by abandoning Kevin Smith's script and starting anew. Cast Nicolas Cage (20 mil). Delivered nothing. Cost the studio 30 mil.

So yes, I would say (sarcastically, of course) that he served Superman and the studio well and will probably do the same for Pirates.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Don Solosan

Where did I say "directed"? He got a big payday to do so (5 mil). Kept the project in development hell by abandoning Kevin Smith's script and starting anew. Cast Nicolas Cage (20 mil). Delivered nothing. Cost the studio 30 mil.

So yes, I would say (sarcastically, of course) that he served Superman and the studio well and will probably do the same for Pirates.

Just seems weird to gripe about a director's impact on a franchise when he didn't actually DIRECT any of the films. Do you think Burton did some irreparable harm to the franchise? Do you think we would've gotten quality Superman movies prior to 2006 if Burton had never been involved?

All seems like speculation. We can say what Burton did to the "Apes" series but we have no idea what would've happened with Superman if Burton had never been attached...

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin Jacobson

Just seems weird to gripe about a director's impact on a franchise when he didn't actually DIRECT any of the films. Do you think Burton did some irreparable harm to the franchise? Do you think we would've gotten quality Superman movies prior to 2006 if Burton had never been involved?

All seems like speculation. We can say what Burton did to the "Apes" series but we have no idea what would've happened with Superman if Burton had never been attached...

I probably liked Superman Returns better than most people, but I think it's safe to say that it was a dead end. It's possible that if Kevin Smith's Superman had been produced, it might have lead to more movies. If nothing else, Burton gummed up the works for a long time.

Do you want Hollywood to stop trusting quirky directors and go back to the days when the director was just a hired gun who delivered what the studio wanted?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Originally Posted by Don Solosan

Do you want Hollywood to stop trusting quirky directors and go back to the days when the director was just a hired gun who delivered what the studio wanted?

I don't know that I'd go that far -- but I think there's something to be said for directors who subsume their style into the story being told and put their ego aside. I wouldn't want to do away with quirky directors or people who have their own style, either. But I also appreciate someone who can serve the material, and let the material determine how they approach it. Michael Curtiz is one of my favorite directors - you don't see a lot of retrospectives being done on him, but he directed some of the greatest films of all time (Casablanca and The Adventures Of Robin Hood to name only a couple) and always did quality work. He was a contract director for Warner, and I'd say that Warner was well served to have someone like him they could go to. I wouldn't mind seeing more of that in today's time.

I'm guess I'm saying, while I'm not a huge fan of the Pirates film anyway - they are fun, and they have a distinct feel to them - and I think that's enough. They don't need extra quirk. I'd say the same for Superman movies, for the most part - he's such a classic hero, and it's such a classic tale, that I think the material is better served by someone who chooses to bend their style to fit it as opposed to someone who tries to bend the material to fit their style.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I'm sure WB has been more than happy to overlook the cost of Burton's failed Superman project when they consider the box office successes of Beetlejuice, Batman and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, among others. Burton has made WB a LOT of money over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks