What's new

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest 12-5, 2 versions (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
'Pirates' Drops DVD Anchor Dec. 5
Theatrical blockbuster 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest' will be released on DVD Dec. 5 in two configurations -- a single-disc version ($29.99) and a two-disc collector's edition ($34.99) -- from Buena Vista Home Entertainment. ... FULL STORY

"The collector's edition also comes with 10 featurettes, including a profile on star Johnny Depp, an inside look at the movie's theatrical premiere on Disneyland's Main Street, a photo diary from producer Jerry Bruckheimer, a feature on “re-imagineering” the Disneyland theme park's popular Pirates of the Caribbean attraction into a movie, and an extensive making-of documentary. "

so the trend of the "spec ed" being way overpriced continues.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I never look at MSRP ever...

Whenever a movie comes out, pick it up at Best Buy. That is, if you have one near. Even spec eds can be under $20.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've pretty much stopped buying titles that have the 1 disc or 2 disc option. A year or so ago, there would of been just a 2 disc option. Studios can go piss up a rope with this selling tactic. There's no way anyone can justify this practice as economically sound.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
I wouldn't mind buying the 2-disc set, but Disney has already shown with the first Narnia film that they are not afraid to release a better set than either choice offered in the initial release. I'll wait for the inevitable 2-pack or trilogy box for this one, especially since I don't know if the third is any good yet.

chuckg

Supporting Actor

Perhaps they expect the casual, money-pinching movie watcher to buy the one-disc deal, while expecting the Depp fanatics and Pirate Lovers to pony up for the full double disc deal.

It's no different than having cars with different options available, really.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
It's a shame that's what they expect. While I would buy the 2 disc at a decent price, it will now be inflated. So I'll use my current buying strategy I set up with "V For Vendetta":

Buy pre-viewed copy for $7.
Secure copy of second disc from friend or rental play.
Place copy of second disc in case with Pre-viewed disc one.

I hope the studios are happy with the money they make from my purchase...

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
I'll probably pick up the 2-discer. I really don't need anything that would come on the Super Uber Duper Edition. I had no interest in the 3-disc Pirates, so I'll be happy with the extras available on the 2-discer.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Russell: You and me are thinking alike on this issue. V for Vendetta was a blind buy for me...so, while I was tempted to get the 2-disc version based on the rave reviews for this film, I said I'll just wait to get a copy of the single-disc at my local rental shop. I got one in their typical 3/$25 sale.

But how do you mean: "Secure copy of second disc from friend or rental play."? You might have a friend who purchased the 2-disc set and doesn't mind giving away the 2nd disc? And, what does "rental play" mean? Sorry for being so thick on what is probably quite obvious!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

"Rental play" means I should of re-read my post more carefully, as it should of been "rental place".

"Secure a copy from a friend or rental place" means that if I can't find any 2 disc sets 2nd hand for less than I would pay for the single disc new, I'll borrow disc 2 and copy it.

I'm just sick to death of these selling tactics. Remember not 2-3 years ago when releases like this would be packed to the gills in features, when that was the selling point of the format? now it's nothing but a marketing tool, with the sick excuse of "Giving the Consumer a choice". So, instead of selling a shit load of 2 disc sets for $25, they sell a boat load of singles for $18, and a few more of the doubles for $29. I would think it would be more profitable to sell the 1 product, as they would only have the one manufacturing run, but I guess not as it's more and more common these days.

And if the studios think that special features will push consumers like me into HD/Blu-Ray, they are in for a very rude awakining.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't like it but they aren't selling two versions of major titles to hurt their sales. They're doing it to bleed the collectors and fans and have a version that will be about $15 that they can more easily sell to the average consumer. That way they make the most money possible.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member

By 'comsumers like me' do you mean consumers that currently illegally copy the special features on sd dvd sets to save a few dollars? Something tells me the warring high def camps aren't holding their breath. :laugh:

Matthew Clayton

Stunt Coordinator

At least having these two options is better than having studios release a measly single-disc edition with only a few extras, then turning around 6 months afterward and releasing a packed 2-disc edition. (Fox, I'm looking at you!)

I liked POTC 2 enough, but I don't think I'll be picking either edition up. It's just not a film that I want in my collection the day it hits store shelves.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I plan to purchase the single-disc release. As popular as DVD "special editions" have become, I'm glad Disney is giving me the option to own "Pirates" on DVD without having to pay for material that I'm not going to watch.

This dual-release strategy is a great idea, in my opinion.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i dont think its a good idea because htese same 2 disc editions were the norm for the same old regular price until about 1 year ago when they started this 2 diferent version nonsense.

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
I personally think it is a good practice idea.., Reason? If you don't want the extras,, you save $5.00.., BUT if you think about it five bucks is a pretty good deal.,., and don't forget the shady practices that MCA Universal pulled on us a few years ago ( ten? ),, and that was if you wanted the letterbox wide screen edition it was priced at $5.00 more than the full screen ed.,, Now THAT my friend was a pretty nasty pricing decision .. Thank goodness those days are gone and now we have this other 'awful nasty' pricing market..
No big deal for me.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
uh huh, but what about the fact that just about a year or 2 ago we were paying
the price of the 1 disc version for what was given to the 2 disc versions now.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit

Exactly. I remember paying like $15 for Star Wars III, and that was two discs. The only difference now is that your $15 will only get you one disc, and you have to pay a lot more if you want the 2nd disc...sucks.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
IMO extras are not as good as they used to be. Not always, but some get old really fast. I loved the old doc on From Dusk til Dawn, but hated the one on Devils Rejects. Yawn, 50th setup of spurting fake blood.

Forbidden Planet will be pretty sweet, even has another movie for an extra!

Jason Smalley

Stunt Coordinator
I too am fed up with the Single vs. Double disc sets based upon the bonus materials we used to get compared to the "Deluxe Editions" now a days. It is difficult for me to believe that the companies are actually setting back and saying "let's screw the collectors." I can actually buy the line of thought that reasons that while the two editions may only be $1-$2 difference in cost to the retailer it gives them the chance to offer a loss leader and the correct version. Whilst this is seen as good for the retailer and the studio in their eyes, I don't really agree.

In previous days, I would have purchased the "Super-Duper Deluxe Special Edition Available for only a Limited time in the Vault" Edition. Not any more. Many of the studios aren't giving me my commentaries on these biggies. The extras that do exist on the second disc usually seem like anemic after thoughts. As a result, I usually refuse to by either version and opt to find it used down the road. This way it doesn't ring up as a sale for them and I get my goodies. I have had to do this with "Cars" since Disney didn't see fit to give us a proper edition. I will have to do it with Pirates as well...although I do feel that the two discer seems better than the Warners Deluxe Editions that seem to have launched this craze. I also do it with Universal and their TV properties like BattleStar Galactica and Quantum Leap for their 2.0/2.5 releases and Music replacements.

The studios have the right to put out whatever they want, but I have the right not to play their game. Eventually, if enough people take harder stances against the the release patterns, perhaps the retailers and studios will get it together and realize that great products will lead to great sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks