What's new

Pirates of the Caribbean 3 Disc set and Universal/ Dreamworks Animated film news. (1 Viewer)

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
Found this at DVD Planet and thought I would post what I found.

It seems that Universal/ DreamWorks is either re-issuing or putting out new Editions of their animated films all to be released on 10-26-2004 for $14.95 each.

Disney is releasing a 3 Disc Set of Pirates of the Caribbean on 11-02-2004 for $29.95.

No details are listed as to what are on these.

Does anybody have any details on any of the above releases?

If this has already been posted, please either delete post or merge with the other.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Ha!

So happy I never got around to picking up the first POTC, especially since it's so difficult to find with the slip cover now.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
if its the same transfer on POTC, I'll pass. The current transfer is pretty bad. Take a look at the DTS sampler disc that has a clip from POTC, the PQ blows away the commercial release.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'm happy with the current POTC. Doesn't warrant another purchase no matter how much stuff they put on it.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
Since I got the first POTC as a Christmas gift, I'll look into getting this... though outside of the missing trailers, what would they add, anyway (especially since the sequel won't begin production until next summer)?

Travis W.

Second Unit
I never even picked up the current release (watched it so many times with family and friends) but I'll get the 3 disc for sure.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if maybe it's the current 2-disc set packed with the soundtrack/score?

I hope it's not a SE as the current one is pretty loaded.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"The current transfer is pretty bad. Take a look at the DTS sampler disc that has a clip from POTC, the PQ blows away the commercial release."

Didn't the "commercial release" disc rack up a boatload of DVD nomimations? And didn't it win some as well?

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Yeah. But some say they were undeserved. There's a very heavy amount of edge enhancement early on in the film. Most notably when Jack makes his entrance he seems to be outlined in white. I didn't really notice much EE later in the film though.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor

If they plan on rereleasing then please, add as much as possible! I would never, ever ask a studio to not release a SE version.

Haden

Supporting Actor
How can Disney justify a 3-disc release of Pirates when the 2-disc version was already pretty good? It had 2 commentary tracks and was loaded with other great extras, so I can't imagine what a 3rd disc would include. It can't possibly be promo featurettes to hype the sequel, because that hasn't even started filming yet and isn't slated to be released until summer 2006.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
if its a new transfer for POTC, i'll bite.

i didn't pick up the earlier disc due to bad WOM on the PQ, and i still haven't seen the film yet.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
It would seem unlikely they would do a whole new transfer for w film that came out last year in theaters and on DVD. If anything, perhaps limit the quantity of commentaries or audio tracks, but who knows. It will be the same transfer no doubt, which I'm satisfied with.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I'm betting the third disc will be a full screen version. This title made a lot of the full-screen-only-people angry.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
A third disc being a full screen version is possible. Seeing as how this film was geared towards family friendly audiences and younger crowds, many who are not familiar with the benefits of widescreen. A three disc set with a fullscreen version would be a waste of time and money and completely unnecessary. Not to mention capitalizing on the fame of Johnny Depp, Kiera Kinghtley, and Orlando Bloom. Isn't Gore Verbinski suppose to have a new film out around the time of this release? That could be a reason also.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"...I can't imagine what a 3rd disc would include."

Have you seen the extensive DVD-Rom features for Pirates? If you don't have a DVD-ROM, you didn't see these. Methinks those and web featurettes and sneak previews for Pirates II and III will make up the third disc...sort of like the "SpiderMan: Deluxe Edition".

Haden

Supporting Actor
As I said before, they couldn't possibly have any significant sneak previews of Pirates 2 and 3 on the DVD if its coming out this December. The sequels haven't started filming yet and aren't slated for release until summer/fall 2006.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Pfft. All you need are some storyboards and concept art and some chatting heads for a preview. You don't need production footage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks