What's new

Pirates for the PS2 in DTS! (1 Viewer)

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
I was at Blockbuster and noticed that Pirates has come out. All copies were rented out, but on the box it said "DTS interactive" I guess this is one of EA's new real-time DTS titles. Has anyone tried it yet? How does it sound?

Marc.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I believe all of EAs "DTS" games are only 4.0 in surround. Someone correct me if I am wrong, I don't own any EA titles with DTS.

Dan

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
That's correct Dan. It's only 4.0.

Well, at least when I use EA's version of DTS, the center speaker icon on my receiver, extinguishes. The speaker indicators only go out when there isn't any data going to them. So, I'd have to say that it's only 4.0.

Better than nothing but, true DD5.1 on the Xbox slams it.

Oh yeah, almost forgot; is this game, "Pirates" anything like the old Pirates game that came out years ago on the Amiga? Perhaps a remade version?

Anyone ever play it? You basically started out as a lowly turd of a pirate and made a career for yourself by raiding local towns and garrisons on the Carribbean. Ship to ship battles, battles where you attacked forts, ect. You could search for buried treasure if you bought a map in certain pubs. Hire guys for your ship. You could get married, build up property that you would own. Then, when you finally retired from you career, you'd get a little "further exploits of the pirate so and so", which was actually really cool because it would tell you other things you went onto in your life after pirating by way of how well you pirated. You could find long lost relatives...ect.

Very cool little game.

Jason_H

Second Unit
Easily one of the greatest games ever made, that was another Sid Meier masterpiece. I played it until my hands were bloody on my old Commodore 64 when I was a kid, and again when it was re-released as Pirates! Gold for the PC.

Sadly, the game in discussion here is Pirates: The Legend of Black Kat, which has nothing to do with the old Sid Meier series. I would LOVE to see a new version of the old Pirates! games come to the PC or console.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
On my setup NHL 2002 in DTS is definitely 5.1. I get the play by play out of my center channel speaker. Don't know about the rest of the DTS games though.

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
"Better than nothing but, true DD5.1 on the Xbox slams it. "

Derrick,

Not quite. All of the X-box games I've tried have no center channel, which makes the 4.1. In fact, Pirates, is 4.1 as well, not 4.0 See my review of Pirates on this forum, for more details.

Marc.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Marc, have you tried Halo yet? It's definitely 5.1. I remember reading posts when it was 1st released, where guys were saying that they hear nothing from the center but, I don't understand that. I clearly hear my center and, it shows up on my receiver as receiving info. :confused:
No big deal. I still like the 4.1 (forgot about the .1) better than regular Dolby Surround, anyday. SSX Tricky sounds pretty nice.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Ha, me too thinking that was perhaps the Sid Maier game that I played on the Mac. all through my early college years. I just loved the Foil as the weapon. In fact I still have the disk, except I don't have a Mac to play it on! :)

Jay

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I just rented this today. I havent played it much yet, but so far my impression is sort of blah... it's not bad by any means, but it really hasn't grabbed be yet. I think maybe I just need to play more. There are some neat graphical effects, like the reflective transparent water, but overall I'd only give the game maybe a 6.5 out of 10 for graphics.
The DTS sound is nice though :) You can hear enemies and other sounds from all around, and if you just keep turning your character, the sounds will pan all around your room. The fact that it's only 4.0 DTS doesnt really make any difference IMO. Hopefully more companies will be able to incorporate DTS or DD into their PS2 games.
Still, I'm wishing I had rented Drakan or Maximo instead. I also need to rent MGS2 one of these days.
Brian

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
I rented Pirates last night. This may be the worst game I've played on the PS2 yet. The graphics for the lead character are pretty bad, and she's pretty ugly. The intro movie and story is pretty weak as well. The ship combat looks better, but its still fairly simple.

I was hoping to pick this up for the XBox when it came out, but I'm glad I rented it. I'll probably play more later, but so far I'm really disappointed.

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
I'm actually GLAD these games are only in 4.1 .... Why? Keep in mind the DTS is being encoded through a software engine, which means it taxes the CPU. The center channel, while nice if possible, would just be further burden on the CPU, and I think a phantom center channel in the Front L&R is adequate, the most important addition is the stereo surrounds. SSX had slowdown as it was, but with the burden of having to process an extra channel it would've chugged.

I haven't played NHL 2002, but I can see it would have less of a problem achieving 5.1 with acceptable framerates because the subject matter would be less demanding (limited enviroment size, no flashy effects etc.)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Dean, the DTS encoding goes on the VU0 co-processor, with the 'main game' processing on the main processor of the PS2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks