What's new

Pirate Night with the new SVS and Paradigm 170s (1 Viewer)

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
1st real test with the new additions to my HT
OLD
Infinity Entras LCR
NEW (added)
SVS 20-39PCi
Paradigm ADP 170s

In honor of Talk Like A Pirate Day (Sunday)got some friends and watched Master and Commander and Pirates of the Caribbean.

HOLY CRAP!!!

The battle scenes in M&C was outstanding - the cannons had so many tones - each cannon had a different sound and each side had different sounds - the crew were truly in awe. (The movie totally sucked)

Pirates of thr C was a different animal - of course the guns were not as brilliant but the music that set the tone was great.

It's almost like the audio had become colorized (thanks to SVS).

Thanks to everyone here for helping me through these trying times. :emoji_thumbsup:

Aaron_Mum

Stunt Coordinator
In defense of Master and Commander, if you read one of the books you will "get" the movie and it will quickly become a favorite. However, I will in no way justify the "air band" scene, that was nasty!

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
Having NOT read the books I can understand that completely. However - at THIS point I will take the Horatio Hornblowers over M&C.

To me it was 5 actions scenes and filler inbetween.

HOWEVER - I did want to hear what SVS did with the cannon and was jaw dropped in awe!

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

Can you elaborate a little more on the Paradigm ADP-170s. I'm interested in these as surrounds as well and wondered what you thought about them?

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
Yung - good question. Personally - I LOVE them. However I'm not experienced with OTHER surrounds. I had Infinity Ones (monopole) as surrounds and they were nice but I always felt I knew where the sound was coming from.

The 170's are dipoles and I do not have the PERFECT place for them but still they really fill the room with ambiant sound. (up against the far walls R and L at ear level).

All I can tell you is that I'm very happy. In the few movies I've watched I can REALLY tell the difference from old to new. They are pricey but are working the magic for me! LOL

It's hard to put into words. I do not notice them in a movie (this is a good thing) like the monopoles.

For instance - In Master & Commander. With the old surrounds when the ship was in the distance to the right and fired off the cannon, I heard the cannon on the right.

With the 170's I not only here the cannon on the right but I also FELT that the shots were coming from a "long way to the right", I had the feeling of distance AND direction, not just direction.
------------------
I will not put down the coffee :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks