What's new

Piracy ok according to Kellogg's? (1 Viewer)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
The short of it: I just saw a commercial for Cheez-it, a snack food made by Kellogg. They have a promotional tie-in with Spider-Man 2. In this commercial a man that looks kinda like a slacker is sitting at home, key word being home, watching Spider-man 2 on his TV. The commercial ends with them mentioning when the movie opens next month.

Ok my question is: Doesn't this send out mixed signals?

This guy is at HOME watching Spider-Man 2 and the movie doesn't come out for a few weeks. Who is this ordinary looking man and why is he watching a movie at home that hasn't come out in theaters yet?

IMO this sends out the wrong signal. The movie industry complains about piracy and they no doubt have security measures in place to guard against that sort of thing, yet in a commercial for a product tie-in the only person in the commercial is watching the movie at home several weeks before the movie opens in theaters.

Is it dumb advertising or am I just looking too much into it?

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
The short of it: I just saw a commercial for Cheez-it, a snack food made by Kellogg. They have a promotional tie-in with Spider-Man 2. In this commercial a man that looks kinda like a slacker is sitting at home, key word being home, watching Spider-man 2 on his TV. The commercial ends with them mentioning when the movie opens next month.

Ok my question is: Doesn't this send out mixed signals?

This guy is at HOME watching Spider-Man 2 and the movie doesn't come out for a few weeks. Who is this ordinary looking man and why is he watching a movie at home that hasn't come out in theaters yet?

IMO this sends out the wrong signal. The movie industry complains about piracy and they no doubt have security measures in place to guard against that sort of thing, yet in a commercial for a product tie-in the only person in the commercial is watching the movie at home several weeks before the movie opens in theaters.

Is it dumb advertising or am I just looking too much into it?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
If the man in the commercial hears a message that the film is coming to theaters, then yes, we can assume he's watching a pirated copy. But if the message about it coming to theaters comes after the blurb, then we can just assume he's several months in the future and watching the DVD release. It's ingrained in people's minds that watching a movie on DVD is part of the release pattern.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
If the man in the commercial hears a message that the film is coming to theaters, then yes, we can assume he's watching a pirated copy. But if the message about it coming to theaters comes after the blurb, then we can just assume he's several months in the future and watching the DVD release. It's ingrained in people's minds that watching a movie on DVD is part of the release pattern.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
The slacker guy also jumps on to the ceiling like Spider-Man.

Perhaps because he shares Spidey's powers he was given special treatment.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
The slacker guy also jumps on to the ceiling like Spider-Man.

Perhaps because he shares Spidey's powers he was given special treatment.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
That's what I thought too but he's watching some action scenes that appear to be in the thick of the movie. Almost spoilerish in nature, then again I haven't seen the movie.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
That's what I thought too but he's watching some action scenes that appear to be in the thick of the movie. Almost spoilerish in nature, then again I haven't seen the movie.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian

All the scenes on his TV were in the trailer. Since the trailer premiered on TV and has been shown many times on shows like Coming Attractions, I think we can rule out piracy.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian

All the scenes on his TV were in the trailer. Since the trailer premiered on TV and has been shown many times on shows like Coming Attractions, I think we can rule out piracy.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Aahhh... Remember a year ago on the Pitts, they already had a bootleg of Spidey 2?

Ryan

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Aahhh... Remember a year ago on the Pitts, they already had a bootleg of Spidey 2?

Ryan

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

After being menaced by Doc Ock style robotic arms that are doing a good imitation of the giant spider in the Eight Legged Freaks trailer ...

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

After being menaced by Doc Ock style robotic arms that are doing a good imitation of the giant spider in the Eight Legged Freaks trailer ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks