Pip

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Alexander Kuch, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Alexander Kuch

I heard that you cannot get Picture in Picture with satelite. I always thought it was the dumbest feature, but some people are obsessed with it and won't but a tv without PIP. What's involved in it. I am pretty Home Theater Savy, but I never bothered to ever try it. If you could enlighten me, I would appreciate it.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    You heard wrong. It is possible but you need two different receivers connected to your TV. Or find a discontinued UltimateTV receiver. It had PIP built in.

-Robert

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Sent to my personal e-mail:
    "Thanks for the feedback Robert. I was wondering if you could explain why you
    cannot get PIP with one satelite receiver. Thanks."

Because most receivers only have one tuner. You need a tuner for each channel you want to receive at the same time. The DirecTivos are dual tuner satellite receivers but they still can't do PIP. They only have one MPEG decoder. I mentioned earlier about the U-TV having built in PIP. It is also a dual tuner/single MPEG decoder receiver but it's software was written so it could feed the MPEG decoder a video stream with a PIP window.

Because you are new, you may not understand that this forum is the best place to ask follow-up questions. A year from now, someone may search on "satellite" and "PIP" and read our discussion. If we had taken it to personal e-mail they would be left wondering how it ended.

-Robert

4. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

By the way Alexander, you could use a VCR or a DVD recorder as the second tuner and use it for the second PIP source.[​IMG]

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Same thing will happen with a most cable boxes.