PIP with DirectTV

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by KyleA, Jul 15, 2003.

1. KyleA

KyleA Auditioning

Thought this was the correct forum, but if not feel free to move it. I think I know the answer to this (UltimateTV?), but thought I would verify. I am moving into an apartment that offers service from DirectTV. If I understand it correctly, I have no dish, and the service is simply fed though the coax outlets in my apartment to my DirectTV receiver. Now...how do I get my 2-tuner PIP to work? Is anyone familiar with how this apartment setup will work? It's not like I'm installing a dish on my balcony or anything like that. Thanks.

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

You won’t unhless you change somethihng.

The PIP depends on the NTSC (analog signals only) tuner in your set. DirecTV signals as digital and your set tuner won’t be able to decode the digital signal from DirecTV (or from dish or from digital cable or from OTA digital telecasts).

Each DirecTV receiver or Set Top Box (STB) will only decode on DirecTV channel at a time. This means that even if you are sending an 480i signal to your set, you are only sending one channel—the channel selection is done by the STB, not the TV. Only one channel at a time, means no PIP.

It might be possible to add a pair of rabbit ears (if you live close enough to the transmitters) to your setup and fall back on picking up OTA signals, which would allow your PIP feature to work.

Or (and I’m guessing here) it might be possible to get a second DirecTV STB, and feed two 480i, analog signals to your set so that your PIP will work. But my guess is that this feature depends on the TV being able to tune the channels.

3. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit