What's new

PIP with cable hookup?? (1 Viewer)

StevenB

Agent
Hello,

I have a Sony Wega TV(27fs17) and just got cable hooked up to it today. The company ran the cable line through the cable convertor box, then through my VCR and finally to my TV. In order fo either VCR or cable box to work, the TV needs to be set to channel 4 which will not allow me to use the PIP function. Actually, the PIP comes up, but the only channel I can get obviously is channel 4. I tried emailing the cable company but haven't heard anything yet. I am learning quickly that many times, this forum can actually be quite a bit more reliable anyway. So, is there a way that I'd be able to get my PIP back?

Steve

P.S. I have a Pioneer vsx-810s receiver if that helps at all with the connection.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Connections are only part of the problem.

A cable box only has one tuner and will only output one channel at a time. For picture-in-picture, you need two tuners to see the two channels.

I don't think you're going to be able to use PIP with that cable box.

StevenB

Agent
Thanks for the response. That's the feeling I was getting. Oh well, I got the TV more for the connections than that feature anyway, so I'm not devastated. Thanks again for the reply.

Steve

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
wouldn't you be able to split the signal after the cable box. Send one directly to the TV and the other to the VCR then the TV thus using the VCR as a second tuner?

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Richard,

The cable box acts as the tuner. You choose what channel you want to watch through the tuner, and it only outputs one channel at a time. You can split the signal after the cable box, but you'll be getting the same channel on each feed.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
If you are required to use a cable box because ALL channels are either scrambled or digital, then you would require two cable boxes for PIP. For my XBR450, I have split the cable coming out of the wall, before it goes into the digital cable box. One cable goes directly to the TV and the other goes through the cable box to the TV. In this manner, I have a picture using the TV's tuner for standard analog cable, and then a second picture using the digital cable box (same channels below 99). I am using coaxial cable directly in for analog and a composite video cable for the digital box. This works for most things, but I can't watch two different digital cable channels at the same time--not that I have ever had the need to do so. I usually only use PIP for sports or news.

I hope this works for you.

-Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks