What's new

PIP - side by side - how is it done? (1 Viewer)

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
This may be a silly question but manufacturers who say their PIP feature is implemented via a side by side picture, how exactly do they show a 4:3 image on only one half of the screen? Do they stretch it and compress it? Do they letterbox it somehow centered in one half of the screen? I've only ever seen windowed PIP so I suddenly became very curious how this other side by side PIP looks/works.
thanks much,
--tom

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I don't know how this TV does it but I have seen broadcasts where for a few moments they squished two pictures so they would be positioned side by side. Other times I have seen two smaller pictures occupying upper left and lower right of the screen.
I can never understand why (in the latter case described above) they always make the picture with nothing but the newscaster bigger and overlapping on top of the picture of the subject being described.
More video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

My XBR400 reduces the size of both pictures, so the aspect ratio is still correct for each. You can scale the pictures up and down in size (increasing the size of one proportionally decreases the size of the other).
------------------
John Robinson
"E=mc^2 (+/- 3dB)"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks