PIP on 2-tuner DirecTV/TiVo receiver

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by aaron.r, Aug 7, 2003.

1. aaron.r

aaron.r Extra

Does anyone know a way to get my TV's (Sony 34XBR800) built-in PIP capability to work with a 2-tuner Hughes HDVR2 DirecTV/TiVo receiver?
    DirecTV technical support says no, but I can't imagine that it's not possible, considering the receiver is tuning 2 channels at any given time...

2. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

No, you can't do it, unless you have cable, antenna, or a 2nd DirecTV receiver to use as a secondary source.

The TV needs two sources to use PIP. The DirecTivo only provides 1, because although it has 2 tuner input, it has only 1 output. To feed the PIP window the TV needs 2 signals to display; the DirecTivo is only giving it 1.

Why do you need the PIP? IMO the DirecTivo makes it totally unnecessary. Just record both shows at once, and watch them back to back rather than simultaneously. Or watch one, then when it hits a break, switch to the other program and watch.

No need to have to keep track of things in little PIP windows anymore ...

3. aaron.r

aaron.r Extra

Good point - PIP is not really a necessity with TiVo...
    I was really just curious if I could make it work.
    I suppose if I get an HiDef receiver at some point, I could feed it into another input and take advantage of it that way. (But that won't happen until DirecTV re-broadcasts local channels in HiDef!)
    Thanks for the reply, Steven!