What's new

PIP and AVR-3803 (1 Viewer)

PIP and Denon AVR-3803

I am very seriously considering picking up a Denon AVR-3803. Before I do so, I want to make sure I'll be able to use the PIP feature of my TV.

I have an Hughes HDVR2 and a Sony SAT-A65 running into my television. My TV has a split-screen PIP. Currently, not running any video through my receiver, I can view output from both satellite receivers at the same time and switch audio output through my receiver (i.e. watch both, listen to picture on left....then swith to listen to picture on right).

If I do pick up a 3803, I'd like to use it for video switching. So, the $64,000 question is this: will I be able to view output from two input sources at the same time and switch the audio output between the 2?

Since the audio and video are "linked" I'm not sure this will work. I'm thinking that I could run one of the sat receivers into the zone 2 ins/outs to make this work, but before I lay down the cash, I'd like to be certain.

Granted, I don't use PIP everyday, but it comes in very handy during football season. I would hate to lose this "feature" but would really like to simplify my setup (for the wife) by using an A/V receiver for video switching.

Any help/experience would be greatly appreciated.

Jon Duke

Stunt Coordinator
Through the 3803 you can view a video source through your TV, and have a seperate audio source sent out to the Main zone.

As far as PIP goes... I think that somewhat depends on how your PIP works. For my TV, I can use PIP for all inputs except for my component input. So, that also plays a role in whether or not it will work.

But, the 3803 is great! I highly recommend it, especially for video switching.

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
The 3803 is only going to output one video source. (PERIOD) To use PIP, you will have to hook up more than one source to your TV. For instance, if you want to watch both sats in a PIP format, you could run both audios to the receiver, but you will need to run at least one of the video ouputs to the TV. In either case, you won't be using the video switching of the 3803 (only audio switching). You will be using the video switching of the TV. There is no PIP support through the 3803. You will have to use the video inputs of the TV for PIP. since the 3803 only has one output, there just isn't any way to use the 3803 except for audio.

With that said, you could put in some splitters for the video outs (may lower signal quality) in order to do both PIP for you while being able to be simple video switching for your wife.

IraSWeiss

Stunt Coordinator
You should be able to use the zone two feature to output a composite signal to a composite input on the TV with a different source from the zone two output. For example, you could set the main viewing to DVD and the Zone two output to DBS and use the TV for PIP.

Came up with a simple solution: run composite out from my two SAT receivers to my TVs INPUT2 and INPUT3 (while still running S-Video from each SAT receiver to my A/V receiver).

Since I have a Pronto, I can program some simple macros to change the TVs inputs when I want to use PIP. The TV can display INPUT2 and the left and INPUT 3 on the right, while the reciever plays audio from either. I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks