Pionner CLD-D701, 702, 703, 704 video differences?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Blake Comeaux, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Blake Comeaux

Blake Comeaux Stunt Coordinator

I'm searching for a laserdisc player to transfer some LDs I purchased on E-Bay to DVD-R. I was going to try to purchase a CLD-D704 then I read about its predecessors the 701, 702, and 703. I'm not interested in Dolby Digital or DTS capabilities, since the movies I will be transferring are all mono or 2.0 stereo, or the comb filter since I will be using composite out o take advantage of the DVD Recorder's superior one. My question is: Is the picture quality noticably different between these players using composite out with a good comb filter and do some have superior sound quality with PCM sound? Because I could save quite a few bucks if the 704 isn't clearly better in that respect? Thanks for any responses in advance.

I should always double check my post. I can't believe I spelled Pioneer wrong in the header. :b

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Forget the 701 an 702 because they're so old. The 701 has a bad reputation for a variety of problems. The 702 was a big improvement over the 701 but it's stille old at this point. The 703 and the 704 are the same but the year newer 704 adds an AC-3 output. Go with a 703 or 704. You might stille want to get a 704 just to get a newer player. Best wishes!

3. Joe6pack99

Joe6pack99 Second Unit

Blake in the LD game you really do get what you pay for. I used to own the 74 and its a very good mid-range player. It was often compared pq-wise to higher model elites. Also it does have a AC-3 out and is a newer player so spend a little more and grab it. Also don't forget a demod for DD movies....EP1 LD is SICK audio-wise.