What's new

Pioneer's Stance on Future HD Upgradability/Compatability? (1 Viewer)

J

John Morris

We know Mits offers the guarantee. Since it looks like I'll be buying a Pioneer 643HD5 this week, does Pioneer have anything to say with regard to future upgradability/compatibility with firewire/DVI implementation?
The Elite models have a slot for a tuner module... does the 643HD5 have that same slot?
Thanks!
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
John,
First of all, I don't have an answer to your question, but did want to respond to the whole DVI/firewire issue.
I'm wondering if this is really even an issue. Most of what I've read suggests that the only HD programming that will be affected will be one time PPV events. Apparently they don't want to allow us to record such events. If this is the case, then regular network broadcasts as well as regular premium channel programming (such as HBO and Showtime) wouldn't be involved.
If I'm incorrect then someone please set me straight!
Brian

J

John Morris

Brian: thanks for the input!
I will be receiving my HDTV via cable so I'm sure that it won't be long before TWC wants to swap out my HD box for one which uses firewire for all programming. Sure, it will still pass a HD signal via component outputs, but that signal may be a downgraded 480P versus the 1080i. Knowing the way the studios have been trying to copy protect everything, they will want to expand the DVI protection past PPV events to shows like Sophranos, BOB, first run movies and eventually any TV show that they think may have future sales potential as a DVD release.
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

There is nothing to guarantee that what Brian has said will be the case for the long term. I agree that this is what is being claimed now, but what is to stop the studios from telling HBO that they will not be given rights to recent releases unless they down-rez the picture on non-copy protected TV's?
I think that it is very likely that eventually movies will not shown on premium cable stations in full resolution analog HD until an extended period of time has passed since these movies have been available for sale.
I also think that John is absolutely correct about first run shows and movies like Sopranos and 61*, that have future DVD sales potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks