Pioneer/Yamaha, Advice Needed.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kurt_G, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Kurt_G

Kurt_G Extra

Hello Everyone,

I'm in need of some much needed help. Here's my situation; I'm currently in the process of making upgrades to my HT system. I'm also in the middle of remodeling my HT room, as well as my office. Due to these facts, I'm needing to watch what I'm spending, cause well, it all begins to add up really quick.

Right now I'm fixing to purchase a new receiver, since my HK-525 died on me. Well, due to the circumstances I just mentioned, I've been looking at these three receivers:

Pioneer VSX-D914K
    Yamaha RX-V650/HTR-5760

I've been reading these forums here for a little while now, and know there's a few of you here that have the HTR-5760.

If I decide to go with Yamaha, can anybody honestly tell me if the RX-V650 is really worth the extra money? I ask cause right now I can get a really good deal on the HTR-5760.

Once that is answered and I know which model to go with, then it all boils down to either that Yamaha or the Pioneer VSX-D914K.

I'd really appreciate all the help I can get.

Thank you!

2. Gau

Gau Stunt Coordinator

from what i've read, there are only cosmetic differences between the yamaha's line of HTR and RX equivalents. I'm not sure whether the 2 that you have listed are equivalent models.

3. John Brill

John Brill Supporting Actor

Hi Kurt,

There is very little different between the Yamaha's except Zone 2 option on the RX-V650? Apart from that, the back panels look almost identical. I don't think you'd go wrong with the HTR-5760.

As for Yamaha vs Pioneer. I'd suggest you have a listen to both and go based on what sounds best to you. Funny enough, the Pioneer lists as a 6.1 (vs 7.1 for the Yamaha) but a look at the back panel on the Pioneer shows that's it has speaker posts for a 7.1 set-up as well as posts for an additional pair of speakers (A/B setup).

Good luck,

JB

4. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

i own a 5760 and I will attest that it is a fine receiver for the money. you get DPL2x and 7 seperate channels of amplification. The pioneer units are very good as well and I would suggest that you go and have a listen to both of the units. But after my experiance with this yamaha though I would without doubt buy it again. If you can get a good deal that that would also be hard to beat.

1 vote for the 5760............[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Here’s a link from Yamaha’s website describing the differences:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/f...vers/faq00.htm

A note about the power ratings: Rating an amp at 1000Hz will appear to give a higher power output that rating it from 20Hz-20kHz. For example, an amp that shows 100 watts with 20Hz-20kHz might show 150 watts or more at only 1000Hz.

In addition to the different method of rating power, I’ve heard that the HTR line doesn’t have pre-outputs (or perhaps not as many as the RX/RV models).

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Kurt - A couple notes on the Pioneer. The lowest crossover point is 100hz which I don't know why they still do this as other low end models from other companies go lower than that.
    The Pioneer has a nice learning remote(my 811s remote controls everything in my setup).
    The yamaha has been talked about alot so I am going to give it a try this weekend against my current Pioneer 811s. I won't buy anymore low end Pioneers due to the crossover only being 100hz as its lowest point....
    I have tested a Outlaw 950, HK 230 already and with the lower crossovers the front soundstage is a lot smoother ...

7. Kurt_G

Kurt_G Extra

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help.

ChadLB, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the 5760 once you get it.

Basically things lay out kind of like this, I can get the HTR-5760 for $351.73, that includes the cost of shipping.

Should I go the Pioneer VSX-D914K route, I can get that unit for $308.44 with shipping included.

I like them both and find this a tough decision to make. ChadLB brings up a good point though, about the crossover setting at 100hz. That I don't care for. As well as the fact it doesn't have on screen display. I find it a pain when you don't have that groovy on screen display feature.

It's really too bad in some ways, cause I just ordered the new Pioneer DV-578a, it would have been kind of nice to stick with Pioneer for my receiver as well. However, I'm into total quailty and getting the most for money spent. With said, so far it's looking like the Yamaha HTR-5760 is the way to go.

If I didn't have so much going on right now in the way of upgrades and remodeling projects, I'd probably just spend the extra money and go for the 5790, but that isn't an option so I'm not going there.

If there are anymore 5760 owners here, please chim in. I'm very interested in hearing all I can about this receiver.

Thank You!

KG

8. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

if this was month or so later I'd be able to give some insite, I just signed up to become a yamaha dealer. Both brands are good at that price point (it's the cheap stuff that is questionable) yamaha also tends to have better customer service

9. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Why don't you buy it, try it, and if you don't like it, return it. Best Buy has a 30 day policy for this reason, although I'd also take the Yamaha over the Pioneer.

10. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Kurt,
    I will keep you updated over the weekend....I believe I am going to pick it up tonight after work and give it a whirl later on in the evening as I have a couple things to get done with first.
    I will test it alone as well as with my Parasound amp.

11. Kurt_G

Kurt_G Extra

ChadLB, sounds sweet bro. I'll be looking forward to your update. Thanks!

KG

12. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

I have a pioneer and I love the sound of it.....but either way you cant go wrong, which ever one is cheaper is what I would do in your situation.

13. Matt_A

Matt_A Stunt Coordinator

A couple of weeks ago I was at the local SoundTrack (Ultimate Electronics) and they had the Pioneer Elite VSX-41 on sale for $298. You might check to see if this will do what you need as well, since the Elite line is pretty good stuff.

-Matt

14. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Matt,
    The 41 is basically a Pioneer 811s.
    With the 41 you get the black gloss look, Elite name, and Re-EQ feature and that is all I am aware of. Good price on it though but I never thought it was worth the extra money.

15. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I picked the HTR 5760 up tonight from BB. Last one they had. I will try and set it up tonight and see what I think of it....
    later....but I also have to re-image one of my PC's....

16. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I picked the HTR 5760 up tonight from BB. Last one they had. I will try and set it up tonight and see what I think of it....
    later....but I also have to re-image one of my PC's....