Pioneer vsx811s problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MadsenK, Jan 13, 2003.

1. MadsenK

MadsenK Auditioning

I have just recently purchased the Pioneer vsx 811s receiver and I am having trouble getting a decent amount of sound from the rear speakers. I have tried about everything that I can think of to get more noise from the rear speakers, with no luck. As I go through the different modes on the receiver, I do notice that I do get some sound, but it is very low. I have set the rear speakers all the way to +10 and still get very low sounds from the rear. I understand that you are not supposed to get alot of sound from the rear, but during certain movies you should be able to get more than a dribble of sound from the rear. Also, I have it on 6.1 fix and I only have 4 speakers and a subwoofer, so it may very well be somthing that I am doing wrong. My in-laws have a Kenwood that he can hit a button that makes sound come out of all four speakers the same. I understand that this in not "true surround sound" but I would like to have this while I am watching football games. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Scott_Jua

Scott_Jua Stunt Coordinator

maybe this will be no help at all and may have been obvious...but have you checked the speakers connections? Perhaps they are polarities switched? Just a guess...other than that, I wouldn't know where to begin looking without having been there.

3. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Have you balanced your speakers yet? Use the S&V calibration dvd or the Avia dvd and run through the speaker level tests to properly calibrate each channel so that it is the same decibel level from the listening position given the same input. You'll also need a SPL meter such as the one Radio Shack sells for $30-35.

Also, check all your connections, make sure nothing is reversed or loose.

As for your other question, the Pioneer does have a 6 channel stereo mode which will make stereo sources come out of all channels.

good luck,

--tom