Pioneer VSX53-TX Question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DaveRiley, Jan 1, 2004.

1. DaveRiley

DaveRiley Auditioning

I've recently purchased a Pioneer VSX53-TX receiver and I have just a brief question. How would I go about switching to the CD channel without changing the video signal? Not a very important thing, but sometimes I scroll through cable channels or whatever while listening to music. Any aid would be appreciated.

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    Push the cd button.........[​IMG]

not trying to be funny, but the tv shouldn't stop the video if you change to cd. Afterall, the tv is only used for the picture. When I'm listening to cds, I channel surf all the time, in the background. If I see something interesting, I'll hit the tv button to hear it...........

One thing I should add......... I don't have output from tv to receiver, and back to tv. I use satellite. Even if you output from tv to receiver, it should just be the audio.........

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

If the video signal for your TV source (such as a cable or satellite STB) are routed through the receiver, the video will be switched off when switching to the CD input. At least, that's what happens with my Elite 47TX.

One way around this -- connect your CD player's analog outputs to the multi-channel inputs of the receiver, leave the receiver on your TV source and select the multi-channel inputs. It works great (I also like to listen to music with a football or hockey game on TV sometimes).

I believe there is also a function for mixing the video source from one input with the audio source from another. I've never used it, since the multi-channel option meets my needs -- my SACD/CD player is only connected via the 5.1 analog inputs anyway.

4. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    I have satellite, and I can switch to cd and not lose video.........he if has only reg. tv, why would he send video to receiver? All he would need to send to receiver, is audio. The only time I lose video, is when I switch between dvd and whatever........
    With cd, you're only using an audio signal, so why will it affect the video signal?

The analog multi channel inputs are for dvd-a and sacd playback......if you have a player, of course. Anyone that has the inputs and don't play dvd-a or sacd is missing out on a lot of fantastic music...........

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

They can also be used for any two-channel analog audio source -- only the main L/R channels are used. All these inputs do is bypass all internal processing on the receiver. I listen to all my CD's through these inputs via my Sony CD/SACD player.

6. John S

John S Producer

Take an output of video and not route it through the receiver. (directly to the TV) Or simply switch you TV to TV, without switching the receiever if the TV is your video source.

Switch the tv the that alternate source when you want to channel surf or display video while using a different source on your receiver.