What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Pioneer VSX-D850S DTS Audio Issue (1 Viewer)

Fakeplastic

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron
Hi there. I have a Pioneer VSX-D850S receiver that works and sounds great. My issue is that I can only get DTS surround to work when I have the channel input set to TV, despite the fact that the source is my OPPO blu-ray player. The audio is being sent via optical cable and the input is set to digital. As long as the channel input in the DTS settings is set to TV it works. If I set it to DVD or DVD 7.1 I get audio, but not DTS.

Having the channel set to TV would be fine, except that I have to constantly change the channel inputs on the receiver because the source can apparently only be selected once and channel 1 is my TV and channel 3 is the blu-ray. If I set channel 1 (tv) to DVD I get no sound.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Sorry, don’t know what you mean by “channel input.” I’ve never seen a receiver with “channel inputs.” Searching the manual for that phrase gets no hits.

Often, if not commonly, DTS is selected via the disc menu. According to the manual, your receiver has a button on the remote that switches between DD and DTS.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm also confused by the terminology, how things are connected and configured, and what the goal and problems are. Wayne and I both know a lot about this stuff, but you have us both baffled.

First, if the soundtrack is DTS, you get DTS. If it isn't, you won't. Second, components (like the Oppo player) are connected to a specified input, and the receiver is configured to play back from that input. To play from a component, you select that input, not a different one. Third, a lot of inputs are configurable, so just because something says "TV" doesn't mean it connected to the TV if the receiver have been configured differently.

Your receiver doesn't have hdmi, and you don't explain how things are configured and connected. You appear to be connecting the Oppo to the receiver with optical audio, so if you connect it to the Opt 1 input, then you configure the input through the receiver's input setup to use Opt 1 for the Oppo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McMillan
Recent bookmarks