What's new

Pioneer Vsx-d850s At $685 Sounds Great Would Like Input (1 Viewer)

David D. C.

Stunt Coordinator
Pioneer VSX-D850S

The Pioneer VSX-D850S is the most affordable at 685 for receivers i have seen, likely because little money was spent on fancy features or styling. attractive front panel has a fold-down door that conceals everything but two knobs and the power switch. The simple amber dot-matrix display is readable from across the room — a good thing since there’s no onscreen menu system.

The receiver has two selectable inputs for component-video sources. The most intriguing back-panel feature, however, is probably the “7.1”-channel analog input. There’s the usual 5.1-channel sextet plus two back surround inputs, which are mixed together and sent to the back surround output.

surround modes,

but these are usefully subdivided into two groups accessed by the DSP or DD/DTS keys on both the remote and the front panel. The six DSP (digital signal processing) modes, applicable to two-channel and multichannel sources alike, are mostly of the excessively reverberant type. Dubbed Hall, Dance, and so on, they’ll probably be quickly dismissed by anyone interested in serious surround music listening. The sole exception is Theater 2, which seems to be a sensible application of logic steering to enhance playback of two-channel stereo sources.

The VSX-D850S offers four Advanced Theater modes — Musical, Drama, Action, and 6-D Theater — that also apply DSP effects. Again, most of these have too much synthetic reverb for my tastes. The 6-D Theater mode made multichannel music sound a bit dizzying, but it did spread stereo music interestingly around six channels, especially near its lowest setting.

But I doubt many shoppers will consider the VSX-D850S for its DSP modes. Most will be looking for a flexible, 6.1-channel receiver with all the important facilities, plenty of solid power, and a great price — and the Pioneer certainly delivers those. The receiver’s “straight” stereo or multichannel playback was excellent. Sound was clean and accurate, and it drove my home theater speaker system to satisfying volume levels despite its being about half as powerful as my reference amplifiers

Len Cheong

Second Unit
David, this receiver was on sale at local av shops for $250US before tax so I picked one up. Heck, I could've picked 2 up if I had the change. I could not believe all the features it had. I'm wondering though why it never advertised it could do DD EX but only DTS ES. This confused me at first until I figured out how to get to the 6 channel mode.

Are you planning on hooking up the preamp outs to your reference amps? Would be interested in your findings.

Randy Prue

Stunt Coordinator
David:

I like Pioneer (so far) and I'm going out shopping today, or listening at least.

May I ask what your reference amps are, and how powerful? Do you know the power from the 850?

Sounds interesting.

Okay, found it at the Pioneer web site. Lists at $950. CAD, and appears to be the "high end" of the 510-810 series. I liked the 510 (not powerful enough), and was considering the 810... maybe the 850 now.

It says 110 watts x 5 on their site, but then the 510 was rated at 100 watts x 5, which is NOT TRUE... go to Wal-Mart. Everything is 500 watts. I guess we know about this "scam".

Pioneer says it's "EX Ready".

Does anyone know what Pioneer's "hybrid amplification" is? The illustration shows an amber display; the specs state that it is blue. Oh, well.

What does anyone know about the Pioneer Elite series?

Len Cheong

Second Unit
The 850 is rated at 110 watts/channel for all 6 channels. I think like most receivers, when all channels are driven, they probably go down to about 60-70 watts/channel or worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks