Pioneer VSX-D850S and DD-EX

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ed_Li, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Ed_Li

Ed_Li Auditioning

I'm looking at purchasing this receiver and have read some of the posts regarding it. I have a question about how it handles Dolby Digital 5.1 EX (Star Wars Ep 1, etc). Does it actually decode it properly? I read in one of the posts that you need to use the 6-D theater mode, but isn't that just a DSP? Does this mode actually decode EX properly? It sounds like the receiver decodes DTS-ES in standard mode just fine.

Also, can anyone tell me how the subwoofer plus setting works with regard to "large" speakers? I downloaded the user manual from Pioneer's web site and it mentions the setting but doesn't say how it works.

Thanks!!

2. eric c j

eric c j Agent

Unfortunately I can not meet your criteria, however I can say this is a excellent receiver from my view, I started HT in Sept 01 and have been reading 3 forums every day. Is unit should do you well, unless you are so picky and could never sit back and enjoy what you have. If that the case go with the denons or higher up. I felt this unit meet all my needs and sound was excellent, the unit automatically sets up DD, DTS, DTSEX ect according to the dvd, the surrond modes are ok, the 6 stereo is excellent and does not feel fake when you use it. Hope this helps a bit. Pearl Harbor was excellent test, especially in the scene with the thunderstorm.