What's new

Pioneer VSX-D812 or Onkyo TX-SR501? (1 Viewer)

Bhavesh

Stunt Coordinator
Hello everyone. I have a tough choice between the following 2 receivers and was hoping to hear your comments and advice.

(The current exchange rate is US$1 = R6.50 just fyi)
Pioneer VSX-D812: R 4 000
Onkyo TX-SR501: R4 500
I can also get the Yamaha RXV-440 or last year's Onkyo TX-SR600 for R5 000

I realise that these prices are way higher than what I have seen at US online retailers, but I'm not going to be buying online (and I doubt anyone will ship to South Africa anyway).

Denon 6.1 Amp prices are too high for me and Harmon Kardon is not available in my city as far as I know. Rule out refurbished products as well.

The use will be 90% for Home Theatre. I'm not a big music fan, so DVD-Audio/ SACD is not a major issue for me. I will be hooking up the dvd and satellite video output to the receiver and sending only one video output to the tv (I hope this is the right way to do it).

Current DVD player: Pioneer DV-355 (Non-progressive scanning)

I have listened to the Onkyo TX-SR600 hooked up to Energy speakers, and was quite impressed. The salesman assured me the the 501 was not much different (less power mainly)

I haven't heard the Pioneer 812 and will only be able to hear the VSX-712 at the shop. However I've really enjoyed the sound from my Pioneer DVD player hooked up to my old stereo (discussed below)

I have a small room (5m x 4m) and won't be using the rear channel immediately. I want it for future-proofing.

Currently I'm sending the L/R audio output into my Sony GRX8 hifi which comes with great (to my ears anyway) 4 way front speakers and a not so great pair of small surround speakers. I intend to upgrade to an active sub later.

I'm considering buying the Sony SS-CR550HM Centre and Surround Bookshelf Speaker Kit (Price: R 1200)and sticking with my current fronts from my old hifi to get up to a 5.0 system (details of the the Sony SS-CR550HM below)

150W Max Power Handling Centre with 2 120W Max Power Handling Rear Speakers
Centre: 2 Way 3 Driver Speaker; 2 Way 2 Driver Rears
89dB Sensitivity Centre Speaker, 86dB Sensitivity Rears
85Hz - 50kHz Frequency Response Centre and Rears
Bass Reflex Design Centre, Closed Rears

CENTRE SPEAKER UNIT
Woofer 2 x 130mm Kevlar Cone
Tweeter 1 x 25mm Balance Dome
REAR SPEAKER UNITS
Woofer 1 x 130mm Kevlar Cone
Tweeter 1 x 25mm Balance Dome

Later I want to add the sub and a better quality centre channel speaker and move the Sony the Sony SS-CR550HM centre to the rear centre channel. Much later I want to move my hifi fronts to the surround position and buy some floor standing front speakers.

Thanks for reading my post and I look forward to your replies.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I had the Onkyo 600 and had problems with it and returned it and ended up with the Pioneer 811. Some things I enjoy with the Pioneer is the Remote is learning( It controls my Receiver, Mits VCR, Toshiba DVD Player, and Sanyo Projector).
Also it has pre outs if you ever want to add a 5 channel amplifier like I did.
Plus there have been alot of issues with the Onkyo 600/601s.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
I have the pioneer vsxd912k receiver and love everything about it. It is a very feature rich receiver and I will hopefully not have to replace it for at least 5 years.

Bhavesh

Stunt Coordinator
Gee, I was hoping for 10 years of no replacement. How does the sound quality of the 912 compare to other receivers?

John S

Senior HTF Member
10 years is overly optimistic...

I did just recieve my Onkyo SR501(s) though....

I don't know whats up, becasue I actually recieved two of them!!!! I did not get to hear either of them, probably be installing tomorrow night.

They sure look awesome....

Rodon

Second Unit
I just bought a used VSX D811 for my computer room. I have technics surrounds and Pioneer 3 ways as fronts with a Cerwin Vega sub and it sounds very good in this small 11X13 room. It also looks very clean with the door on the front and selectable dimming.

Pat_C

Agent
John S! You probably received mine by accident! ;)

Let me know how they sound -- I'm pretty excited to get mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks