Pioneer VSX-D812 at BB for $179.00 shipped..good??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Angelo_Petralba, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Angelo_Petralba

Angelo_Petralba Second Unit

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Angelo,

I think this is a good price - from Best Buy. Actually, a few weeks back, the VSX-412 was selling for nearly this price at Best Buy and even the "open box" models of the 412 were over $160. So, yes, this is quite a good price for the 812 from Best Buy.

3. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Anyone knows whether the 812 does an analog>>digital>>analog conversion when a DVD-A or SACD player is hooked up to it?

4. Angelo_Petralba

i went to BestBuy last night to get this unit and the "MORON" at that department says that they DO NOT match internet pricing as they are "DIFFERENT" from Online.

I told him that i did the same thing with my washer and dryer and they honored it...

So I left.

Maybe I should just buy it online.

5. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Danny: I'm assuming certain Pioneers do the conversion you are asking about, based on what the stickers say that are applied to the front panels of the demonstrators, something like: "Sacd and dvd-audio ready" then in smaller print underneath, "96K/24bit DAC".

I saw the new VSX-814 at Best Buy last Monday, and printed on the receiver itself was "192kHz DAC". Exactly what that is used for wasn't indicated.

A couple new Yamahas were there too. Their styling is rather similar to Sony's ES models.

And lastly: just as with my local Circuit City and Tweeter stores, the BB audio department is still pretty much a ghost town when it comes to customers. I wouldn't be surprized in the least if CC and BB merged this department with video & dedicated just a couple shelves for receivers, CD players (remember those?) and 4-5 pairs of speakers. Wow, all those beautiful $XXXX widescreen TVs out there now.......but just their tin-can internal speakers. Nowadays when asked I just tell people at least hook up their existing stereo system to their TV and/or dvd player. Obviously 5.1 is becoming too expensive? too complicated? for many TV watchers.

LJ

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I am actually considering this Pioneer receiver because I would like to use it for multi-channel music playback. I remember this Pioneer being highly-rated by the Brit audio magazine "What HiFi". Currently, I am running a Sony DSP-NS500V SACD/DVD/CD player into a Cambridge Audio A500 stereo integrated amp, with the component video going to a 27" Panasonic monitor, all in a tiny den. However, if the Pioneer does analog>>digital>>analog on its 6.1 analog inputs, then I will just stick with what I have. I do know the more expensive JVC HT receivers have an "analog direct" mode.

7. Wayne Ernst

Angelo, That is why I mostly make my order on-line at the Best Buy site and choose the option to pick it up at my local store. When I do this, I'm able to go direcly to customer service to pick up my item. A big plus in doing this is that they don't hound my to purchase any additional service plans as compared to when I make purchases within the store. [​IMG]

8. Angelo_Petralba

great idea..Ill do just that.

9. Wayne Ernst

And when you do, walk by the salesperson who turned the price match down and give 'em a grin. [​IMG]

10. Greg-ST

Greg-ST Stunt Coordinator

I know my 912K has a "Direct" mode in stereo. Not sure if that skips extra A/D D/A conversions or just plays the source as it receives it with no enhancements (bass, treble, etc). I can't really hear any difference between the direct mode and just stereo though.

11. Casper

Casper Auditioning

I couldn't find the Pioneer VSX-D812 anywhere on BestBuy's website. The provided link takes me to a page that says "page not found or no longer available".

I went to the store, but they had it for $229 and not $179. I would really like to get this item for $179. Would appreciate it if some one could post the correct link or provide an SKU of the item.

Thank you very much.

12. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Greg, I went to Pioneer's website and checked out the owner's manual for the 812K. The "direct" mode bypass all tone control and DSP processing but mention nothing about the sequence of digital>>analog (or analog>>digital) conversion. Maybe I am being paranoid about this....or just anal. [​IMG]

13. Wayne Ernst

Casper, I think this is just a case of "You snooze, you lose." The information on the Pioneer 812 was posted two days ago. It now appears as if Best Buy has completely sold off their on-line inventory and pulled the receiver information from their Web site.

I guess you could check the Best Buy Web site for the next few days to see if it re-appears, but, I'd think that this might be quite unlikely since the "814" is now in the distribution channels and manufacturing on the 812 probably stopped a few months back.

14. Angelo_Petralba

Well guys, I went ahead and purchased a different unit..

ONKYO HTS660B from www.onecall.com

It was on sale for $247.00 + $90.00 Shipping !!!

I hope it will be a good set for the kids/ or the bedroom.

Angelo

15. Chris Parham

Chris Parham Stunt Coordinator

I'm curious to hear others' experience with the 812 as I just purchased this on a closeout sale at Bestbuy up here in Canada. Although the converted price was a bit more than I have seen on this post, it was a lot less than I thought I would have to spend to get the features I was looking for. It was enough to get me to finally upgrade my old pioneer 906 amp which I've enjoyed for a few years.
    I was a bit disapointed that the build quality was not even close to my old amp and I am still getting used to how the info is displayed on this new unit. I miss my 80 Hz crossover and the ability to see at a glance how many channels are used in a dolby digital soundtrack. My reservations would all but disapear if I could confirm that the sound produced in the "new" codecs (ie DD-ex, DTS-es,PLII) was better than my plain old vanilla DD only receiver. Problem - I have a 6 week old at home and although my dedicated HT room is fairly well soundproofed certain reference tracks I like to play scare the hell out of my 2 year old!
    My wife is great about giving me my alone time with my toys when a must see DVD is released and she will eventually take the kids out soon so that I can confirm that my upgrade was worth it. But between work and a newborn, the wait is killing me. Can anyone with experience with these two receivers give me their honest opinion? It would be much appreciated while I wait for my own opportunity to put this new amp to the test.