What's new

Pioneer VSX-D811S (1 Viewer)

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
No problem Geoff. ;)

--Tom

By the way, I am very happy with this reciever. One of my favorite "non-essential" features is DTS Neo6. It is fantastic for stereo music, and this is the only receiver in this price range that has it.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Tom:
When watching a DTS movie (NOT DTS-ES), can you force 6.1 processing?

Same with DD movies (not DD-EX), can you force 6.1 processing???

Dose it catch most flags for DD-EX & DTS-ES???
What crossover points do you have to select from when setting speakers to small?

And,,, thank you again for those measurements!!!!

Any 811 owners:
Anyone running an external Amp or Amps on some or all channels, and if so do you find the sound improvment worthy of the effort?

Of course sound improvment will certainly have something to do with the quailty of the amps used....

The reason I ask is:
I do have some DC Amps stored and although this will be in the bedroom, if the audio difference is substansual I would spend the time and effort to install them into the system.

I have 3-Vintage Higher End (certainly better than the 811's Internals) JVC ~ DC-Intergrated amps (large analog power meters) stored in the closet. They also have full pass threw bypassing all controls except the volume & subsonic on/off switch at 16hz.

Comments on those making use of the preouts using an external amp or amps on some or all channels would be most appreciated. Brand?

Those who have purchased this receiver and spent some time with it, do you have any negatives/gripes/ & or bitches about it that you'ed like to make mention of, I am all ears?????

Positives welcome also???

Thanks
Geoff

Edit: Crossover points bite!
Oh well you can't have it all for a couple hundred bucks.....

Grady Reid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Grady
I'm having trouble getting my 811s to playback sacd's and dvd-audio. Receiver doesn't seen to recognize the 7.1 inputs coming from my new DV-563A. I can only get 2.0 dvd-audio. HELP!

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Grady

Do you have the receiver in multi channel mode?

Page 37 in Pioneer 811 manual:
Select DVD from the remote or jog input selector on the front panel. Then "press signal select repeatedly" to select DVD 5.1ch/7.1ch.

To cancel playback from the multi-channel inputs, use the Signal Sel (signal select) button to select a different input signal.

When in playback from the multi channel inputs (DVD 5.1/7.1) only the volume and channels levels can be set.
Also you "can't" use ATT, Tone, and Midnight/Loudness buttons, as well as the Standard, Advanced Surround, and Stereo Direct sounds modes.

Page 17, 811 manual
If the component you are connecting to the 811's multi channel inputs only has 1 or no surround back channel/s, change the suround back channel input setting appropritly.

If you have the receiver selected this way (DVD-5.1 or 7.1), (I would think it would be DVD-5.1), it should be ready to play the SCAD or DVD-A aside from possibly setting up channels volumes.

If not, check your 5.1 input connections and then look into the DVD players manual. You may have go into the set up menu to turn something on to get it to send a signal out the 5.1 analog outputs.

I do not know for sure, but it's a possibility. I do not own the 563 and the 811 is still setting in it's box where it's been sence I bought it for our bedroom. Gave you the page numbers where the information came from for the receiver so you could check it out if you need to....

Regards
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks