Pioneer VSX-D811S vs. Yamaha RX-V530 vs. Onkyo TX-SR600, 1st Time Buyer!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Morlan Liu, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Morlan Liu

Morlan Liu Stunt Coordinator

Hi everyone,

This is my first attempt at a HT. I want to spend about < $350 on a receiver.

So far these three receivers are what I'm looking at.

Also, the Pioneer HTP-720DV system which comes with the VSX-D811S receiver and DV-353S DVD player and 6 speakers with a subwoofer is also an option for $500. Basically paying $100 more then the components to get a basic set of speakers. Anyone have experience with this system?

So what'll it be? Get the HTP-720DV system or one of the other receivers with a separate speaker set?

Any other receiver suggestions? Thanks for all your help in advance!

Oh, this system is going to go with my Sony Wega 27" that I got over Christmas. My room is very small, 25 sq. ft? I will be using Dish Network receiver, PS2, and DVD.

2. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

That system you mentioned sounds like a good deal for the budget you have. Are you sure about the sq. ft.? No offense but that sounds like the size of a closet. Maybe you meant 250 sq. ft.?

3. Morlan Liu

Oops...haha, yeah I meant 200-250 sq. ft.

4. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

You may want to wait Pioneer is releaseing to receivers:
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...,92533,00.html

I owned the Onkyo 600 but had to return it due to small issues but I did prefer the sound of the Onkyo over The Pioneer 811 which I own for right now.
    Like most people say the Pioneer does its job for movies but lacks in the music dept unless you use the midnight mode.

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I would definitely consider the 720DV or possibly give a look to the 725DV package. It's the same at the 720DV but comes w/ a mch better DVD that is progressive scan and plays DVD-A. I've found the 725DV online as low as $520 (http://shop.store.yahoo.com/hypaudio/htp725dv.html) and the 720DV as low as $485 from the same place.

The 811S is a great receiver. It is a bit lacking in 2ch reproduction, but the "Loudness" feature seems to take care of much of this problem. It's a great pure HT receiver.

The speakers/sub in both of these packages will get the job done but may be the first thing you want to upgrade. They really won't cut it for music without a sub, but for HT they'll do a solid job. If you do decide to upgrade, chances are you can get $150 - $200 out of the speakers/sub on ebay or here on the HT Forum.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

6. Morlan Liu

So if I was going to go with the separate receiver, what would be a reasonable price range for speakers that would be at the level of these receivers? I have not looked into speakers yet so I'm clueless about them.

7. Morlan Liu

Now I have it down to this:

1) HTP-720DV HTIB. $500 (Can upgrade to JBL NSP1 later for $200 and maybe sell speaker set that comes with HTIB)
    2) Yamaha RX-V530 w/JBL NSP1 speaker set. $450 (Needs a subwoofer and DVD player)

I didn't include the Onkyo because I've heard there are some problems with it regarding the subwoofer LBE or something like that.

I would like some other suggestions if possible. Thanks!

8. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

You can get a Harmon Kardon AVR-325 for $350.00 online from JandR music world. I auditioned receivers in your price range recently and couldn't find anything that sounded near as good for the money. You can audition it for yourself if you are near a circuit city. They sell it for $499.00 but I showed a manager a printout of JandR's price and they matched plus 10% of the difference. They also sell the Onkyo SR600 so you can compare them . The Onkyo has a nicer remote and more features such as additinal amplifier channels and component video switching and is a little more ergonomically user friendly. I chose the HK based soley on what I believed to be superior sound quality. Many people like the Onkyo though. I'm just offering another possible option.