What's new

Pioneer VSX-D811S vs. Sony STR-DB1070 (1 Viewer)

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Based on features and performance alone what reciver would you purchase?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Neither.

From Sony, I would not buy anything but ES for receivers, especially since the 3ES is not that much more than the DB1070.

From Pioneer, Elite is the way to go.

All told, in that price range, I would (and did) choose something from Marantz. I auditioned Denon and Onkyo and liked both quite a bit, but settled on Marantz because music sounds excellent on them.

I've also been more impressed with Yamaha lately, so give their new line a listen also.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
While not a Sony fan, I would prefer the 1070. It is an ES in all but name and warranty and gets great reviews. I agree with JG that you are close to actual ES territory in price however. I also agree that there are other options out there but apparently you have narrowed things down to these two in which case I suggest you audition them with an extended listening session if possible.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The DB line is ES EXCEPT for the singal reproduction, which is why I still don't think they are that great. The amplification is definitely ES, but the sound reproduction is little better than the DE line in my experience.

I don't mean to knock your choices either. As Paul said, if you have already narrowed it down to those two, spend some time with each, preferably with the same, or at least similar gear and do some listening with your favorite CDs.

If Sony is a must for you, I would strongly suggest auditioning the 3ES. I helped setup my friends, and it is a good receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks