Pioneer VSX-D811S Sound Quality and SPL

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Cal, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Brian Cal

Brian Cal Stunt Coordinator

I have had the VSX-D811S for about 2 and a half weeks now, and while it is a huge step above my old VSX-D498 in terms of features, I cannot help but feel like the sound quality is much more brittle and harsh. I listened to both the 498 and the 811 with all channels calibrated to 75 dB SPL using Avia, and surprisingly, the 498 seemed to have a much "warmer" sound. In contrast, even at the same SPL the 811 seemed excessively loud (especially on DTS) and overly bright. Dialogue in particular sounded much more grating than it did on the 498.

I tried going through the analog 7.1 inputs and using the DD and DTS decoders on my Panasonic CP72, and it actually took away a lot of the brittle and grating sound, but, as to be expected, the Panny’s decoding was sonically dull.

I'd be interested to hear other 811 owner's thoughts on the sound quality of this unit and what volume levels you listen at. It makes no sense to me that two units calibrated to the same SPL would seem to output such drastically different volume levels. I suppose I can live with that, but the harsh sound is annoying me. Is the decoder on the 811 bad? Is it a faulty power amp? Or just a lousy unit in general?

2. Ben_Page

Ben_Page Auditioning

Have you tried "Midnight" mode?

3. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

4. Brian Cal

Wow. Before I bought the thing I heard nothing but praise, now I'm hearing nothing but negatives.

I have 10 days to return it under Best Buy's 30 day return policy. Any suggestions for a good receiver in the same price range of $299.99?

I've heard good things about the Denon AVR-1803. Not sure if it's in my price range though...

I'd really appreciate some help. My speaker setup, FWIW:

JBL S38 as fronts
    JBL S-Center
    JBL N24 as rears
    JBL PB12 Sub

5. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

I tried the 811S and although I thought it was an incredible value, I thought it was way too bright and hence it had to go back.

6. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Actually, the new models will be coming out in March, and the D712, D812, and D912 will feature the MCACC feature. Tack another feature onto their mass market models.

7. Brian Cal

Thought I'd hear more response from 811 users. Anybody out there???

Anyway, I broke down and ordered the Denon AVR-1803. I hope it sounds better than the Pioneer.

8. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    I absolutely love my 811..not a single complaint.
    Music sounds great, DVD's..great....period.
    I guess I don't have a golden ear. [​IMG]
    p.s. The 811 replaced my Outlaw 1050 which was nice sounding too, but didn't offer as many features.

9. SeanDM

SeanDM Agent

I've had my 811 for about a month now and have been very happy with the sound quality in both music and movies. I have it combined with 5 Dahlquist speakers and the DLS sub from Parts Express. The only thing I can compare it to is my friends Pioneer Elite reciever and while his system sounds good, he spent much more than I did.
    With Costco's great return policy, I'm thinking about ordering the HK 325 ($499) from them just so I can compare it with the 811. Regardless, I got my 811 for just over $200, so I see it as a great value. And with the pre-outs I can add a 2 channel amp later to make up for any lack of "musicality" (I don't think that's a word, but it sounds good [​IMG]) in the 811.