Pioneer VSX-D811S. Should I get it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil Middlemiss, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer

Nov 15, 2001
    Neil Middlemiss
    It is withing my price range and supports 6.1. It also supports 100 watts per channel. But what I am reading today in the speaker section, that may not matter. I am a little confused.
    Is this receiver any good and what speakers should I use with this? I like my movies LOUD!!!

2. Laurence_C

Laurence_C Stunt Coordinator

Sep 30, 2001
    Neil, There are plenty of 6.1 receivers that rate around 100 watts/ch that are LOUD. Have you auditioned the receiver with any speakers? If so what did you think? Everyone on this forum can tell you what they think sounds good together but only you can decide what you think sounds good. Go listen to the Pioneer with different speakers and you tell us what you think, then I'm sure you'll get many responses.
  3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Jul 19, 2002
    I have the 811S and love it. I'm currently running it w/ sony SS-MB300H 8" driver 3 way mains, SS-C490 center, and 4 SS-MB100Hs in a 7.1 surround setup. I'm aslo using a pioneer 12" 200W powered sub. My set up is extremely loud when i want it to be, and sounds clear, crisp, and tight and any volume i would listen to at for any amount of time.

I think the 811S is a great receiver, because it has nearly every feature of much more expensive receivers, such as DPLII, NEO6, DTS-ES, and DD EX. It also allows for a 7.1 setup using 2 back surround speakers instead of just one back center speaker. It is also a steal if you don't mind ordering online. I found mine for $280 + shipping (around $320 total).

Most receivers on the market will be between 80 - 100 watts per channel. This 20 watt difference will be neglagable. When it comes to volume, your speaker's efficiency is much more important than a small difference in amplifier power.

In electirc/accoustic theory, to increase volume by 2db, you must double your amplified power... this shows how little of a difference going from 80w to 20w will make.

Hope this helps.
  4. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Apr 23, 2000
    I agree with both posters above...YOU and you alone need to decide what speakers sound good to you. Everyone here has an opinion about what sounds best and it's usually what they currently own.

Go out and audition some speakers and decides what's best for you and your budget.

The 811 will do just fine with most any speaker out there, as do many other receivers. As mentioned, the speaker sensitivity will be key to how "loud" things get for the most part.

I currently run my 811 with a pair of Celestian fronts and a matching center.

5. Kevin Parker

Kevin Parker Stunt Coordinator

May 18, 2002
    I run my 811 with infinty interlude center and main and acoustic research surround and back surround speakers and a kenwood sub(7.1 setup), my setup is loud and crystal clear, although my speakers are not very sensitive.